Attempt at GRS-Meek's Squirrel

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Obviously a lot of people were inspired by Marty's seminar on sketching with a 'graver. This is my attempt at GRS's Meeks Squirrel. I know some of the cuts are crude but I wanted to know if I am on the right track.

All critiques welcomed:

Last edited:

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
What this work lacks is depth.Something which can be corrected with a bit more shading, otherwise its a darn good squirrel,even though it appears to be floating in air.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike
You started to get into shading to create form.........but don't stop now.
From what I see you need more shadows as Joseph said but more important.....pick a light scource direction. Upper right would work out well for the animal. So shade the underside..... and don't forget to shade the tree also. Remember.details come last. Get the lighting and form first. Work large to small and all the pieces will fit together.
Glad you got something out of the seminar.

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for the advice, I'm going back to work on the shading and I was also thinking of adding some backround and a border

Last edited:

ahenson

Meek's Squirrel

Hello Mike! Nice job on the squirrel. With the border, you could extend the tree at the top and bottom and then add the border. That way the design is nicely framed and completed inside the border, like a picture frame. Thanks for posting this! :)

Amanda Henson