Question: Bare bones setup advice

BlackthornForge

Hi! I'm a bladesmith with a thousand hobbies and three "day jobs" so I don't have a lot of time or money to invest in a proper set up, but I'm fascinated by hobo nickels and coin carving and I'd like to try it out. I have a budget of $0 so anything I can make DIY is preferred, even if it's not ideal for the craft (I have a lot of high quality steel and the tools to work it into just about anything). I know the value of doing things properly, but right now I'm looking for "will do" not "the right tool for the job."

Thanks in advance!

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you know how to make blades, so you can make gravers. i usually temper my gravers anyways, but I read in a blacksmith book that he didn't even bother to temper his very small tools after hardening.. I've tried it with a couple, and honestly, they haven't seemed to suffer.. you can glue your hobo nickle to the but end of a (flattened) broom handle.. push the other end into a depression in dirt, or a digit in your floor, and away you go.. i use a setup like this lots when I'm on the rd.. you can also shorten the broom handle to work ant a desk or bench

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The video in the following link is in Spanish but the simple tools and methods are easily understood. Since you have $0. to spend this may not work because you might have to spend about ten bucks for a #36 graver blank. Other than that all you need is a stick, glue, a piece of wood to make a bench peg with and a stone to sharpen on.

Now, if buying a graver is too much for you, you can temper and sharpen a concrete nail, find a rock of appropriate size to hit the nail with and glue your coin to a round bottom rock of about ten pounds as I have shown in the picture below. You will be well on your way to your 1001st hobby.

Attachments

• Nail & rock.JPG
    Nail & rock.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 24

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the right tool for the job ? anything you make that works is the right tool for the job! if you should want a small hammer,
though not for hobos,braze a steel rod onto an automobile valve stem. the bench pin and plate holder in the video roger posted would be ideal for hobos.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
roger, remember "joseph the engraver" ? quite some time back, he did use a stone to support some of his work.

Latest posts

Sponsors