Beginner Needing HELP!!!

jmcutting

Just wanted to let everyone know that after all of your help I was able to get the soldering somewhat figured out. It ended up being a couple of things. First off the steel I had was in fact plated. Secondly the 95/5 solder I got wasn't right. So once I got everything in line soldering became a whole lot easier. Thanks for everyone's HELP!!!!!

-justin

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
the solder i get is 96% tin & 4% silver. its called Hi-force lowtemp used with comet #4 flux it sticks to brass, copper, steel, silver , nickel . Not sure if it will stick to stainless.I used it to solder a 5" x 1/2" steel flange to a 1" cold roll steel rod that holds up my engraving vise, a South Bend 8" lathe chuck, believe me it ain't goin' no where. never had anything give up its ghost when soldered with the above mentioned.
Kent

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Justin,
Also be aware that copper oxidises easier that any thing else out there! Be sure to flux it well. Copper can sometimes be a sticky booger to pick<G>. Another thing, if you ever try the real silver solder again, HandyFlux B is good for steel/silver as it is a high temp flux. It is black and gooey, but works well for these applications. It can be purchased at most welders supply, or Rio. Good luck, Gailm

Last edited: