Beginner set up

CMaddox

Hello, well it has been far too long since my engraving class but I am hopefully getting ready to gear up to start this journey. I am going to set up a workbench in a spare bedroom, the question I have is does anyone else that does work in their home keep their power hone in that room with them or would I be better off setting something up in the garage for sharpenin (due to the debris)?

707chrisa

I live in my studio. I have a vacuum port in my bench where I use my high and low speed rotary hand pieces. I put the power hone right next to this port when I am done I unhook the hose from the port and vacuum off the machine . My biggest problem is the steel chips they are a must too clean up, magnet ,sweep then vacuum at least run the magnet over the floor each time you get up. There are old posts about just this. I am proud of each long shinning chip as they pop free , then I dread them. You will find them with your feet. your dogs feet (sadness) , in your bed in you car its a new part of life. Oh did I forget to tell you to check your shoes I bet your tracking them around right now pretty sure I am yup two at least in my shoe right now.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hooked my power hone up to an inexpensive shop vac, no muss no fuss.

That said I do the majority of my "sharpening" on the Lindsay bench stones, no more than a couple swipes, there is little to no debris created, when I need to shape a new graver I go to the power hone.

CMaddox

I live in my studio. I have a vacuum port in my bench where I use my high and low speed rotary hand pieces. I put the power hone right next to this port when I am done I unhook the hose from the port and vacuum off the machine . My biggest problem is the steel chips they are a must too clean up, magnet ,sweep then vacuum at least run the magnet over the floor each time you get up. There are old posts about just this. I am proud of each long shinning chip as they pop free , then I dread them. You will find them with your feet. your dogs feet (sadness) , in your bed in you car its a new part of life. Oh did I forget to tell you to check your shoes I bet your tracking them around right now pretty sure I am yup two at least in my shoe right now.
Thank you. as far as being new to this, do you feel starting with a power hone is ideal, or should it be a manual sharpening system?

CMaddox

Hooked my power hone up to an inexpensive shop vac, no muss no fuss.

That said I do the majority of my "sharpening" on the Lindsay bench stones, no more than a couple swipes, there is little to no debris created, when I need to shape a new graver I go to the power hone.
Thank you. I was wondering how long it would take or how intensive it would be to shape a new graver manually.

T.G.III

Depends on how small you want the working end as that'll determine the amount of time involved, some of my points are quite small and are an investment in time to create, once made though its very fast to touch them up, even with a chipped tip.

Pictures of my power hone are in this thread.

707chrisa

I am new to engraving also. I have a old single speed one direction GRS power hone and use it all the time . I did do a 105 graver by hand once .

monk

Staff member
Depends on how small you want the working end as that'll determine the amount of time involved, some of my points are quite small and are an investment in time to create, once made though its very fast to touch them up, even with a chipped tip.

Pictures of my power hone are in this thread.

i use diamond stones or 6" diameter disks. all are wetted with common mineral oil. all dust remains embedded or trapped in the min. oil. when time to clean a spritz of wd40 and a tooth brush works well. gravers that have relief grinds on the sides and bottom require very little during re sharpening or "touch up". i almost never use a bench grinder anymore. with those, a mask should be used.

T.G.III

i use diamond stones or 6" diameter disks. all are wetted with common mineral oil. all dust remains embedded or trapped in the min. oil. when time to clean a spritz of wd40 and a tooth brush works well. gravers that have relief grinds on the sides and bottom require very little during re sharpening or "touch up". i almost never use a bench grinder anymore. with those, a mask should be used.
Yup, I tried the whetted discs with oil and found it was a huge mess of nasty black sludge splattered over all of the nearby surfaces due to the spinning nature of the hone. For me the better solution ended up being a small shop vac dedicated to and modified for the old school power hone on my rolling stand, with the shop vac and home built copper hood the grinding dust is completely eliminated, makes a little racket but I'm mostly hard of hearing and if using for longer duration ear muffs work great.

edgrabow15

Elite Cafe Member
As far as being to early in your journey to get a power anything over a manual ,I personally feel anything you can get thats powered and you can afford you should grab it, there are enough things, especially in the beginning of this beautiful art of hand engraving that are going to be hard and discourage you and want you to just stop and give-up . If you can avoid a few of those discouraging things all the better.

Latest posts

Sponsors