Beginner tools

Bob Rearley

Gentlemen and Gentle Ladies,
I have been building the occasional flintlock pistol or long gun over the years. I have a great deal of appreation for the skill of the workmanship in all phases of the gunsmiths workmanship in the areas of engraving as well as craving. I have never engraved any of my guns because I did't feel I had time to learn to do it well. I have reached a point that I want to give it a try. A few years ago I purchased John Schippers book. I am ready to give it a try with John's book as guidance. I am willing to spend good money for good equipment, but not go overboard. I would appreciate any thoughts on the tools I am considering. I intend to engrave small gun parts. For a minimal investment I could get a GRS Bench Block. I am not sure if it gives me enough versatility. Another option is the Lindsay Turntable vise and stand in the area of 1K or the same turntable with stand and a GRS Standard Block.
Thanks for your time, Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome. the schippers book was a very good start. for front stuffers, there's no better book. you'll find a lot of predjuce here regarding grrs/lindsay/ and a couple others. they are all good. each system will do what your hand wills it to do. i think you should look at the tips section, the tools for beginners section, as well as look at all the grs & lindsay info that's available.
not being a jerk, but the quality of the work you end up doing, will be yours and not whichever tool or system you chose to go with. don't start a spending spree until you're reasonably sure about things. a very valuable tool, that few talk about--- the common pencil ! it's more valuable than any tool choice.
an xtra note: there's lots of stuff on ebay that bears the grs label. if the price seems to be a real bargain, it's not. china and india are producing stuff and passing it off as usa made products. that low price will come back to haunt you in the long run. jm2cw

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Gentlemen and Gentle Ladies,
I have been building the occasional flintlock pistol or long gun over the years. I have a great deal of appreation for the skill of the workmanship in all phases of the gunsmiths workmanship in the areas of engraving as well as craving. I have never engraved any of my guns because I did't feel I had time to learn to do it well. I have reached a point that I want to give it a try. A few years ago I purchased John Schippers book. I am ready to give it a try with John's book as guidance. I am willing to spend good money for good equipment, but not go overboard. I would appreciate any thoughts on the tools I am considering. I intend to engrave small gun parts. For a minimal investment I could get a GRS Bench Block. I am not sure if it gives me enough versatility. Another option is the Lindsay Turntable vise and stand in the area of 1K or the same turntable with stand and a GRS Standard Block.
Thanks for your time, Bob

Take a look at options and the amount of money you can afford.... https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/24166-simple-engraving-for-knifemakers/

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Bob,I've found the builders of flintlock rifle that want to learn engraving want me to teach them the hammer & chisel & bruin/hand push an other words traditional,all you need is a good chasing hammer chisels & handles small bench vise and blocks of wood to hot glue the parts two,simple. J.J.

Last edited:

Bob Rearley

Thank you gentlemen. John focuses a lot on the value of repetition in his book. I have enough invested in gun building and woodworking that I don't want to spend a lot at least until I know I can do some decent work. Thanks again for your valued feedback.
Bob

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I was emailing back and forth with a women gun engraver in the UK she had an interesting vise it was a bench vise and she had the anvil cut off it made the vice compact where she could move around freely while engraving guns. J.J.

Last edited: