Bench jeweler setup question

AO84

Wondering if anyone has a handy list of things they purchased or suggest one should purchase for getting into diamond/stone setting and fine jewlery repairwork. I'm particularly asking about hand tools and equipment and not instruction materials.

I know Otto Frei sells various grades of kits and packages but I know there's some experienced bench jewelers on here and am curious to see what you think is the essentials. Thanks!

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well it depends on your budget I guess. A few things that come to mind are; a good torch, ring roller, gravers, burs and drills, pliers, optivisor and a sturdy bench and good light. A GRS benchmate is a good investment but not necessary.h
When you start you will know what tools are needed to invest in. If you plan on doing this for a life long occupation invest in quality tools. Some of my hand tools are over 40 years old and they have been used almost every work day.

wild willie

the basic tools are a ring mandrel, rawhide mallet, saw, #3/o saw blades, goldsmiths hammer, # 4 inside ring file with handle, norton sandpaper #0 and # 1 or equivalent, two sanding sticks, little torch with #7 tip. oxygen and propane tanks , batterns flux, boric acid and alcohol, citric pickle, and a boil pot in place of a ultrasonic cleaner. a flexshaft with #30 handpiece, inside sanding drum, pair of dividers. im sure i forgot a gazillion other things but this is the basic starter kit as i see it.

Latest posts

Sponsors