Bench Pin

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
I don't have a jewelers bench but I need a bench pin at a level to do hand work with an Optivisor at a comfortable angle. Setting my engravers ball on my benchtop and putting a bench pin in that is still too short, plus it's a PITA to have to move the ball. What do y'all use to get hand work up where you can work on it without breaking your neck?

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i have a portable work bench, which is essentially a tool box.
there is a removable dowel longwise across the opening that is repurposed as a mast to hold my flexshaft, if it is part of my travelling toolkit.
the box tips over on its side with the op[ening facing me.. the lower side is clamped to the hotel table, or wherever I am. the new topside has a semicircle cut away, like a conventional jewelklers bench, except that my bench peg is integral (I just left a benchpeg shaped chunk when I cut away the semicircle...
i like this way, because its self contained, I've got tools and benchj all in a package, and it collects all my filings in itself..
the way simpler versionyou make a C shape out of some stout wood the bottom leg of the C is clamped to the bench, the top is your bench peg.. this version would be better with some little 45's to shore it up, or some plywood trianges screwed into the junctions... with a little ingenuity, you could make it adjustable, for the perfect peg height..
bolt it together out of steel and it could be more compact, if not lighter.

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Dan's suggestion is a good one. Will definitely work. Theres also a non elevated version I've used that clamps directly to an ordinary workbench top: https://www.riogrande.com/product/fancy-v-slot-bench-pin-and-clamp/110013 Along the same lines, many former employees, Navajo silversmiths, used to favor a piece of flat steel sheet (8-10 gauge) with a slot cut in one end (saw relief) clamped to a bench top with a normal C Clamp. I imagine you could also use a chunk of aluminum sheet if thick enough.

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone. The solution I'm using until something better comes along is to set the engravers ball on 3 pieces of 2x8 glued together. I may screw a Panavise to the 2x8's and see if that works.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have a portable work bench, which is essentially a tool box.
there is a removable dowel longwise across the opening that is repurposed as a mast to hold my flexshaft, if it is part of my travelling toolkit.
the box tips over on its side with the op[ening facing me.. the lower side is clamped to the hotel table, or wherever I am. the new topside has a semicircle cut away, like a conventional jewelklers bench, except that my bench peg is integral (I just left a benchpeg shaped chunk when I cut away the semicircle...
i like this way, because its self contained, I've got tools and benchj all in a package, and it collects all my filings in itself..
the way simpler versionyou make a C shape out of some stout wood the bottom leg of the C is clamped to the bench, the top is your bench peg.. this version would be better with some little 45's to shore it up, or some plywood trianges screwed into the junctions... with a little ingenuity, you could make it adjustable, for the perfect peg height..
bolt it together out of steel and it could be more compact, if not lighter.
any chance you could send a foto of your box? it might inspire a newbie now and then.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In pic one and two you can see a little dado along one side of the box. A piece of plywood slips in there to allow for a tray that pulls out a bit. I don’t really use it. It would be better on the other side to bridge the cutaway when the box is in transport.
Pic three you can see the side of the box that becomes the bench top when it’s installed.
Other feature- the one side of the box overshoots each end by about an inch and a half to give some options to clamp down on.
The bar/handle is just held with a couple pins and is easily removable.

Attachments

• 79CD968B-EF13-4EA2-8341-F23B01DF8F44.jpeg
    79CD968B-EF13-4EA2-8341-F23B01DF8F44.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 37
  • D3F6A3EE-FA72-49DD-AACF-621E0CA76A52.jpeg
    D3F6A3EE-FA72-49DD-AACF-621E0CA76A52.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 37
  • B5344851-DDE5-4417-AB88-71B271582DCF.jpeg
    B5344851-DDE5-4417-AB88-71B271582DCF.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 37

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John...
I would make it smaller. In fact, I am .. will fit more places. And less temptation to throw the kitchen sink in there

Latest posts

Sponsors