Best (cheapest) place for Jun-Air oil?

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
For the european readers: the cheapest source I found and used so far is
https://www.artapisserie.fr/compres...-473ml.html?search_query=SJ-27&fast_search=fs
in France. The average price for a 435 ccm bottle is around 40 Euros in Germany and France, so 26 Euro sounds fair to me...

The motor armature coils of the Jun-Air are immersed in the oil, other oils might damage their isolation. As the Jun-Air and similiar models were derived from „hermetic“ refrigerant compressors, oil for fridge compressors might be a safe replacement. Though, if it would be cheaper I could not tell.

Cheers

Ralf

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oooookay, first update: Air Inc. now tells me it's out of stock and they'll ship in "7-10 business days", so I contacted Werther and they sell it for the same price. I cancelled my order with Air Inc. and ordered it directly from Werther. They said it will ship today and I should have it by next Tues-Weds.

FYI- I could not find oil anywhere on Werther's site (it was the first place I looked yesterday), but they replied quickly to an email inquiry. So yes, they do sell it, but you gotta ask.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Got the oil from Werther and it LOOKS exactly like Jun-Air SJ-27 and I can't imagine it's sufficiently different to make any difference in use, so I topped off all four of my compressor heads. I'm sure it'll work just fine.

(2) 24 oz bottles @ $24.50 ea., plus $18 shipping (a bit steep), $67 total for what is probably at least a 5-yr supply at my consumption rate, YMMV. Not cheap, but half the price of genuine SJ-27.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One other thing- All four of my heads were pretty much down to the "MIN" line and it took only about 2/3rds of a 24 oz bottle to bring them all up about 3/4ths of the way to the MAX line in the bubble. I could have easily gotten by with only one bottle, in case you're wondering how much you might need.

Michaelwood

Still to soon to tell on the reliability but so far the Amsoil compressor oil is doing just fine. The funny thing is it said it's not to be used for refrigerant compressors, so I'm not sure if it's compatible with the submerged motor coils long term. It seemed eerily similar to the jun-air oil though, in comparison to car motor oil, for example, that's totally different.

The jun air oil is ester based? I'm not familiar with all the different types of oils

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Or do what I did call the compressor manufacturer and request a MSDS sheet for the oil. They are required to provide one. I ended up buying a 5 gallon can for I think $120.00 delivered. Some where here is a thread on this subject. I have a silentair compressor

mossleycrue

Guys,

I got amsoil synthetic compressor oil and it seems to be ester oil if I'm not mistaken. Compressor works good but the true test will be weather it protects it adequately over the next 5 or so years so I'll keep you up to date.

Also a viair air filter worked with a female to female coupling. My air filter was missing when I bought this thing
I found this thread after I completed a exhaustive cross reference.
I came up with Amsoil Synthetic Compressor Oil - ISO 46, SAE 20. Compatible with PAO, ester- and petroleum-based compressor oils. (Not compatible with glycol- or silicone-based oils).
The Jun-Air SJ-27 is ISO Grade 46 SAE20 and Synthetic ester based.
Is this the same Amsoil you used? If so, is your compressor still working fine?

mossleycrue

Update:
I contacted Amsoil and provided them with the SJ-27 specifications.
Here is their response:
"If it is an ISO 46 and you are not using it for medical purposes then our Synthetic Compressor Oil ISO46 SAE 20, product code PCI, could be used as it is compatible with ester based compressor oils".
I will order this Amsoil "PCI" today. :)

Latest posts

Sponsors