Question: break out- need advice

Daniel Maier

I’m just engraving some vintage tools, a wood chisel in particular. The steel is hand forged and seems to get harder and harder towards the cutting edge. I started with an ordinary Glensteel from GRS, it was cutting fine at the thicker end of the blade , but now the steel is much harder and it breaks the engravers edge, now I’m using an C-Max also from GRS, but it also breaks. Do I have to change the geometry of my sharpening. Anyone with some advice?
cheers D.

McAhron

Elite Cafe Member
I think your going to need to anneal the chisel,then engrave it, and re-harden.Chisels are heat treated tool steel in general.

Daniel Maier

Good idea, but I really like the old finish and texture of the metal, isn’t there a steel what just cuts through that? How about HSS? What sharpening angles do you recommend for Carbide, C-Max , or HSS engravers?
Thanks D.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I doubt anything will work. Try an extreme blunt face but chances are the chisel is as hard as the graver.

D.M.

Pure tungsten carbide with 90 degree angle of cutting edge, but you will sharpen it every minute. It sharpens with diamond abrasives only. And it's PITA.

Daniel Maier

90 degree? that sounds like pushing the metal out rather then cutting, but I will give it a try. Thanks
Another Question: I don't have a diamond sharpening disc fine enough for a good edge, do you think I can go on my ceramic disc with an rather course diamond spray, or will the carbide scar the ceramic?
thanks