Critique Request Breaking in a new templet.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the orriginal art makes that tricky to do. most is cool. i've done this many times, the lettering i mean. i'd recut a better set of letters, and use super glue, and very carefully set it over the other lettering. on the smallest trace this would never be seen, but would be noticeable on the larger sizes. on some of the templates i made, some had even 3 layers in spots ! this saves making an entire template again if you don't like a bad spot.
many years ago i made all the custom templates for the things remembered stores all over the usa. for their work, i made "master" templates at twice the size needed. when these were good enough, i used them to create the actual templates for the stores using the rotary pantograph to cut the main templates.
btw: your tracing will go much easier if you run a graphite pencil through the grooves. this will act as a lube and make the trace much smoother.

Last edited:

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Great idea!

I hand engraved a templet for this, 3 inch x 3 inch.The 3 traceings show the size range of my machine size 2 the largest and 7 smallest. And anywhere inbetween.

Hello Jim,

This is a great choice of design. If I got it right, the copied (traced) outcome is between one half and one seventh in size of the original engraving, but I'm uncertain if the three inches is the measurment of the material or the engraving on it. If it is the design, the max. size is about 38 mm, and the minimum about 11 mm high. The smaller versions could look very impressive. Will You add the details by hand engraving later? If this is a family related design, You might be able to supply a whole clan... I see You are looking for a reasonably priced end product. Please, don't go beyond using sterling silver. Your cost on such small pieces should be minscule.
Congratulations to your creativity and good luck to your endeavor. Please share with us the success story as well.

Greetings, Ivan