Bright cuts

Can anyone tell me why I'm not getting bright cuts from my 90 or 120 degrees v gravers in aluminum.Yet when I cut with flat tool hand push,I get nice bright cuts.Cutting with air tool with square gravers.Thanks for any suggestions.

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
I would think you could compare it with trying to cut a slice of butter. Use a sharp knife and soft and smooth pressure and movement, you get a perfect slice. Try that again with a chisel in a jackhamer, you will end up with a mess....hahaha

Aluminium is soft and sticky. Tap it and it gets stickier. Machine it and you will end up with build up on your cutting tools.

Marc

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Try some type of lube and a sharp graver. Aluminum depending on what type is gummy and seams to tear as the graver passes through it. I have used Tap Magic with good results, but it does have an odour to it, At this moment i am drawing a blank on the others

CMSchneider

Try some type of lube and a sharp graver. Aluminum depending on what type is gummy and seams to tear as the graver passes through it. I have used Tap Magic with good results, but it does have an odour to it, At this moment i am drawing a blank on the others
How has wintergreen oil worked for you? That’s what I was recommended for stone setting graver work

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
use alumitap tapping fluid for lube. it will help. Notice I said help cause no matter what you do it will not be the perfect solution.Aluminum galls too easily to hold engraving well/

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
use alumitap tapping fluid for lube. it will help. Notice I said help cause no matter what you do it will not be the perfect solution.Aluminum galls too easily to hold engraving well/
yeah. sorta like partially dried bubblegum.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I will have to try the wintergreen oil. Keeping the bottom of the graver clean helps, build up can be a problem. Different types of aluminum as with other metals cut differently.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Try Hoppe's No.9 gun bore cleaner and Lindsay's Universal 116 sharping templates for bright cut engraving on aluminum. J.J.