Question: Brownells Blue/Rust Remover

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,
Can “Blue Remover” be neutralized using baking soda mixed with water?

The instructions only say to rinse with warm water but I’m trying to French Greyed a gun slide.
I just want to make sure I neutralize the acid before rinsing with water, so it will not accidentally eat the bluing.

Thank you .
Denny

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I am not following you.
"Blue Remover" will remove the blue.
You can neutralize it with plenty of water or with water and baking soda.
When the side is bare steel and dry and warm you can French Gray it using a phosphoric acid based ceramic tile cleaning solution.
I have posted the system before, please look in the Cafe tips file.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Denny, I haven't selectively greyed anything in about 20 yrs (it was all the rage in the '80s, along with Members Only jackets), but I used to sprinkle a pinch of baking soda over the de-bluer until it stopped fizzing before rinsing it off.

One of the reasons I stopped using the "blue, gold, & grey" treatment was the maddeningly frustrating inability to get a nice even grey without splotchiness, etc. on anything but the smallest areas. i tried rubbing with the baking soda, erasers, maskin'-n-blastin', etc., etc., and was just never really thrilled with the results.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I have had the same problem as Mitch. I used Naval Jelly. The last large area I grayed I applied the solution several times and this gave me a really nice light gray smooth and even. I also, after rinsing apply a couple of coats of Renaissance wax with a bit of lamp black to darken the cuts giving a nice contrast to the engraving. I follow that up with a couple of coats of clear RW for a good protective coating.

I use fingernail polish as a stop off coating to protect the surrounding areas. FPe.jpg

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another solution is Metalife or Armaloy, I prefer Metalife more grey color not ,expensive plus Rockwell R71 water/rust proof.YMMV MTC

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I've been using Lysol Power toilet cleaner for removing the bluing and for French Gray and never had a problem. J.J.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brownel's blue remover is basically phosphoric acid. I have some but never use it anymore because I just use phosphoric acid. I don't neutralize it except to just wash it off. The main difference between most blue removers or rust removers is the strength. Almost all of them are phosphortic acid. Other acids will work but are usually more dangerous to handle. I buy mine at the hardware store. It won't be labeled as phosphoric acid but the contents will say so.
Walmart sells it as a food grade phosphoric acid. I think it is called CLEAN ETCH. it 's 85% I thin it to about 15%. It will take the blue off of a trigger guard in about 15 minutes.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Home Depot toilet cleaner called the Works about 2 bucks a bottle, degrease first. Instant blue remover MTC YMMV

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i want one of these:
Man, I could have used that when I was working on my '63 Chevy pickup, had to have the cab and hood acid dipped. I probably could have bought one of those for what I was charged to dip the truck! 1004131458b.jpg

Sponsors