Question: Buffalo nickel source

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
Anybody got a good source for Buffalo nickels? Not trying to get the collectible or rare years just want to get my feet wet with carving

Hobo654

Why does that Brent waste so many nickels. I appreciate his enthusiasm but 1000s and 1000s just doesn't make sense to me?

Ryan138

Elite Cafe Member
Anybody got a good source for Buffalo nickels? Not trying to get the collectible or rare years just want to get my feet wet with carving
Like Gtsport said just about any change is a good place to start. I like carving buffaloes but I also like to go and grab coins from the big foreign coin box at my lcs. 10 cents a piece and I find some really good face coins to carve some skulls on.

Hobo654

There's a hobo carver that carves 1000s of hobos and I mean 10000+. Theres no skill to it and driving the buffalo nickle up. I just dont understand why he wastes so many coins can someone please explain why? He does it

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Out of interest, what's the going rate in the US for buffalo nickels suitable for carving?

In the UK, I've just seen this from good old Danbury Mint (purveyors of fine tat) - https://www.danburymint.co.uk/buffalo-nickel-set/UK-CCABN.html so I'm assuming that's on the high side.
If the coins are in the condition shown in the advert, it's fair, any lower condition, it's a rip off. For full date nickels my local coin dealer charges me 50 cents each. for coins worn down to where you can't read the date are 10 cents each.

PS_Bond

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks - good to have some awareness of range (although supply & demand might play a bigger part this side of the pond).

Danbury are usually in the rip-off category (they occupy the same market as Franklin Mint), so I'm a tad skeptical that I'd get what's depicted. There's a coin dealer in Salisbury (of the 123m high cathedral fame...) that might be worth my dropping in on, but I think they're more into stamps than coins.

brentcolo

The price of nickels has gone up a lot! They made billions of them so one carver wont really affect the price much. I am tired of the price of nickels also so I am carving more cents, dimes, and quarters. I am also doing detailed commision engravings on Trade dollars, Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, and five ounce silver quarters. These engravings take longer-between 14-120 hours.

Last edited: