Bulino engravings

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Glen, let me apologize first. We have all kinda hijacked you original excellent post.
Just goes to show the great current interest in the bulino style of engraving.

What I’m about to say is old stuff to many folks, please excuse me.
And many of you may not agree with me.
But this might be a little thought starter for those who have not done much bulino.

I would like to make a point (pun, pun) about the line and/or dot methods.
I think we can all agree that with the ENGRAVED line method metal is removed and the line is more or less durable, depending upon line depth.
If a line is scratched into the surface, as in dry-point, there is a groove formed with displaced metal following parallel along its edge.
There is a chance to roll the raised ridge back into the “ditch” and weaken or obscure the line.
(As we do with a burnisher to try to erase a graver slip or a misplaced scribe line.)
The raised metal can also be worn off by any type of abrasion, weakening the image.

Dots can be made by several methods.
If the dot is made by plunging a pointed tool straight into the metal it displaces metal upward and creates a small depression.
This is usually the case if a round needle point is used, for instance.
We would refer to the displaced metal as a bur.
It is highly susceptible to wear. If it is worn down it reduces the shadow effect and makes the image less visible.
If dots are made with a graver point by making a minute entrance into the surface of the metal it creates a cavity and displaces metal upward too.
But if the graver is “flicked out” while the point is below the surface it removes this chip.
If these minute cavities are at the same depth as a lightly engraved line as used in the banknote style of engraving they are quite durable.
With these dot formed cavities placed very close together we have a miniature relief.
The closer together they are the darker the image, in general.
The image should be turned to check how it reflects light when observed from different directions and re-worked as needed.
In banknote style we cut long lines, short lines and dotted lines to give a graduated line.

I believe that if a bulino image is cut with graver made dots and the burs are removed it forms a reasonably durable image.
It is necessary to place the dots and lines close enough together to create the graduations from light to dark, of course.

My understanding and observation of some of the Italian bulino is that the bur is not usually removed.
Some is much better viewed or photographed from one angle only.
Although most of it is a Master quality I question it’s durability for user guns or knives.

Just my thoughts, expecting some flack on this. Best to you all, John B.

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
John,
Certainly no apology is needed. I have received so much information from this thread that I feel like I owe money to some one!;) I love bulino, I took Chris's class and it was a great experience for me. I do enjoy all the above comments. Please, John, hijack some more.:)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for your kind comment, Glen.
Glad you enjoyed Chris's class.
I saw the picture of the Duck you did in class, outstanding.
He is a great teacher and fine gentleman.
I really enjoyed his great Fega seminar and look at his casting often.
John B.

Santo

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the opinion John B. I have been affirmed and validated. I do the "pop the chip out" method that many Italian bulino artists do. I wonder about the duribility also so it was good to read what you said. I did a bulino on a Buck Sirrus knife using this method. It looks good and has held up being carried around all the time. I'll contribute a photo as soon as I get this photo thing down.

Thanks for this thread all of you. I picked up some good thought provoking information.

Santo

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Santo.
There are now many great American bulino engravers, as you know.
And Uncle Marty is one of those and is going to give us a seminar at FEGA 2008 on his methods.
This should be a barn burner, hope you can make it to Reno.
There will also be a video available in the middle of next year.
He does great work and is an excellent teacher.
And since he moved to Colorado they are wearing down his New York accent.
Makes it easy to understand about 75% first time round without having to review the video. Ha,ha.
Gotta burn a buddy but seriously, I would defer to his opinion regarding bulino.
Best regards, you will be giving seminars yourself one of these days soon.
John B.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
JC i have been going to see your web sit it' s a realy beautifull and fine work, do you know Christophe Para, he work also in Paris on jaeger Lecoultre Watches. It's a past student of Liège school during the Years of 80.

Please do say Hi to Christophe for me. thanks.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I thought that this 2 pictures might be of interest because they are very large so it is easier to see details and because in one of them the background fibers give a good idea of the scales/size of the lines. You will notice that on both pictures I used both dots and lines.
The pictures are very larges keep it in mind when you look at the details. The mermaids support is less than 1 and 1/2 inch tall and the main character in the inlay must be about the same size. I hope it might be of some use.

http://www.engraver.net/forum/IMG0027-A1.jpg
http://www.engraver.net/forum/Image44-A.jpg

Note that on my browser (Firefox) you will have to click on the pictures to enlarge/reduce them, I am not sure about MS Explorer

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Accent??????? What accent? it's a stylized form of speech.

Thanks for the kind words John B. Now I am totally scared to go away to see the kids back east and become a grandfather....What do I have in store for me from my good buddy John B while I am out of touch. This could be worse than going away for a week to teach

I watched Chris's video three times and this is my second attempt of bulino engraving. I know I need a better camera.

David.

Attachments

• lion 042.jpg
    lion 042.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David

I think all you really need is better lighting. For a quick and cheap light box pick up a translucent plastic tub. Cut a hole the size of your lens, set the tub over your subject under some good strong light (sunlight is good) and you should be able to get a nice clean shot.