bulino practice

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
RRUP this is where artistic license kicks in. You make aesthetic decisions to improve the flow, communication with the viewer, etc., trust your intuitive judgment! Photorealism isn't always good! Don't be limited by your reference photo, etc. What looks good to you? This is where it becomes art when you prioritize, filter out the weeds, and emphasize those features you choose to emphasize in the language of artistic expression, showing your subject in a new light. This is the exciting part of art when you diverge from reality and reinvent in the medium you choose, by putting your signature efforts on the piece. There would be no purpose in doing art if you didn't put your artistic sense into the equation. I'm sure a lot of this is obvious to you and you already know that, but as an artist it is quite liberating to know you can break the rules, with the goal in mind to create something unique, and raise your intended outcome to a higher level! This philosophical approach leaves you many options, the sky is the limit, only contained within your personal vision and imagination! This is something I have to constantly learn and relearn with each new artwork I engage in! Letting go of what you thought you wanted something to be and allowing it to be what it is based on in it's own merits. In other words the original idea or reference is what it is, and the art inspired by it, is what it is, based on some different sets of criteria. Also, this (the reference) is, and the art is that, the two shall never completely intersect or meet. Can not, should not do not, just do, is, and be! The profound valuable lesson here is, art doesn't have to completely parallel life or the direct manifestations of what we see on earth and in the universe!

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
By the way there is no real right or wrong, but by asking yourself the right questions about how you see and feel about what you have done, i.e., did you accomplish your objective, only then will you discover, figure out, what you know needs to be done to reach the level of satisfaction that you seek! Everyone will find their own destination in resolving a design problem, and there are an infinite number of ways to achieve an outcome that leads you to a sense of completion in that moment of time, random to a degree by the choices you make, your current experience, skill level, the human factor, the experiment, the learning process as it unfolds, etc.

Last edited:

rrupp

RRUP this is where artistic license kicks in. You make aesthetic decisions to improve the flow, communication with the viewer, etc., trust your intuitive judgment! Photorealism isn't always good! Don't be limited by your reference photo, etc. What looks good to you? This is where it becomes art when you prioritize, filter out the weeds, and emphasize those features you choose to emphasize in the language of artistic expression, showing your subject in a new light. This is the exciting part of art when you diverge from reality and reinvent in the medium you choose, by putting your signature efforts on the piece. There would be no purpose in doing art if you didn't put your artistic sense into the equation. I'm sure a lot of this is obvious to you and you already know that, but as an artist it is quite liberating to know you can break the rules, with the goal in mind to create something unique, and raise your intended outcome to a higher level! This philosophical approach leaves you many options, the sky is the limit, only contained within your personal vision and imagination! This is something I have to constantly learn and relearn with each new artwork I engage in! Letting go of what you thought you wanted something to be and allowing it to be what it is based on in it's own merits. In other words the original idea or reference is what it is, and the art inspired by it, is what it is, based on some different sets of criteria. Also, this (the reference) is, and the art is that, the two shall never completely intersect or meet. Can not, should not do not, just do, is, and be! The profound valuable lesson here is, art doesn't have to completely parallel life or the direct manifestations of what we see on earth and in the universe!
thank you for all that insight that's a lot. my background is i started life at gunsmithing school but also come from a long line of railroaders so that is where i spent 48 years making line A meet line B at the exact spot it needed to be. Some where in there i became interested in photograph and that filled many years. i was even blessed to attend one of Ansel Adams last work shops. for me it was still a rather controlled medium. Then nine years ago some one told me about GRS and my first classes were with Sam and Rex and i knew this was what i wanted to do. i soon found out i could handle the tools at an adequate level but my designs were greatly lacking. so i went back to school. working on an art degree. so everything you pointed out is why i went back to study and learn. i had a watercolor instructor who saw my work and made me work the whole quarter on nothing smaller than an 18 x 24 canvas. The funny thing is in Class i can do what you are saying, but in the quiet of my studio i slip back into making line A meet line B. I know i cant move on until that freedom you are talking about comes without thought. once again thank you.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's nothing like being surrounded by the experience, creativity, input, and inspiration of other artists to propel you forward. Don't discredit yourself! Your bulino is terrific! You have a nice, delicate touch, and an eye for subtlety and detail. Any improvements in my opinion are minor compared to what you have accomplished so far! You are well on your way! Keep up the good work!

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This is facinating, I think the job is very nice. I have a choice to make.....DOT or LINES..... I cannot wrap my inexperienced mind around doing this portrait in lines ( Mr. DeCammils) style. Seeing this which appears to me as all dots is like looking at a picture. I love it. thanks for posting my love of bulino. pap

rrupp

thank you next time GRS offers bulino with Jake Newell i would recommend it. great guy very talented. easy learning with him.

Sponsors