Burr Question

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
I was wondering if we have any dentists out there that know where to get dental burrs at. What I am looking for is the 3/32" with the locking notch at the back end of the burr, as in the old Buffalo belt drive burr system.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm no dentist, but purchase a lot of stuff from patterson dental supply co. yours fit the latch type handpieces. you'll not likely find a practicing dentist today that uses these. if any dentist has them, they'd likely give them to you for free. this type bur has a very sloppy fit in the hand pieces for 1 thing, and also are very low rpm. i used to use a latch type handpiece and found it easier to simply take a dreml tool with a thin abrasive disk and take a non latch type bur and grind the proper relief notches in it. coat the back of a regular bur with magic marker. shove it home and manually spin the bur while pressing the latch against the bur shaft. this will give you a starting point for your groove. remember the wider the groove is, the more vertical play will occur when you use the handpiece. good luck.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Powderhorn,

Monk is correct about Patterson Dental being a good supplier for dental products. However, we still use the latch type burs for slow speed detail work when approaching the pulp of the teeth and for many different polishing discs and finishing accessories etc. Other companies that sell the latch-burs are: sswhiteburs.com, dentsply.com, benco.com, henryschein.com and as mentioned pattersondental.com.

Mark

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Doc Mark, I posted those dental supply web sites into the resources sticky in the Tips Archive.

monk

Staff member
doc mark : i'm famous for half truths and total outright lies ! many of the latch burs i used were made by me, and thus the slop. my dentist never did use the latch type. but he's a young pup, what's he know ?

thefox

dental burr goldmine

Hi everyone!
Well I am total newbie, and can't offer much advice, but if you do as I did, and get a few teeth capped, you should be in pretty good with your dentist. I mentioned getting a new turbine, and was looking for the particular size, and asked him if he threw them away when they got to buzzing the patient's head. He just turned around and went over to a cabinet, and pulled out probably 500 and gave them to me! I couldn't wait to try them. They cut steel like butter. I really couldn't tell any difference in them and the new ones that I had just bought! Give it a shot, they are cheap! Bryan

monk

Staff member
don't advertize that too loudly. if they have been used, at least in my area, these burs are considered "sharps" and are disposed of in proper biomedical waste fashion. unless, like me i d- threaten the little weasel with bodily harm. he then gives me all kind of goodies just to get me out of his operatory !

rogerbar

all i did was tell my dentist what i was doing with them and he started saveing them and sterilized them before he gave them to me . you may even ask some dentist that you are not useing all they can say is no.
roger barbee ( hogshooter)

Latest posts

Sponsors