Business advice for engravers

Andrew Biggs

In another thread it was mentioned about "buisness classes for engraving". Well, over the centuries the business basics havn't changed weather you be a barber, tinker, tailor or engraver.

There are several sides to being self employed. You become a jack of all trades. Office clerk, advertising agent, tax collector, secretary, accountant, quality controler, cheif cook and bottle washer all rolled into one.

The most fundamental thing in being self employed is how you charge your work out. It can mean the difference between making a good income or going broke. Some time ago I wrote an article for the FEGA Engraver magazine explaining how to work out your hourly rate.

You can access this link http://www.awardsigns.co.nz/fega.htm and download and print it for your own use.

I just hope that some of you will benefit from it and that it can help you in your business endevours.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the singularly most dangerous aspect of an engraving career for a newbie is the lack of producing a viable bssiness plan. dollars come in the door, maybe life is good. maybe real good. maybe you're 24 years old. get a harley, a speedboat, a mortgage, 2.3 kids. maybe it's working. what about retirement ? medical coverage ?
all the stupid crap most young people fail to think of ? all this must be planned for now. if you begin to make retirement plans when you're 50 years old, you'll be workin as a greeter somewhere when you're 75, just to pay for your meds ! if you want to make a career of it, you must plan wisely- or you will suffer.plan for your future as much as you train yourself to become a skilled artist !

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the post Andrew. I think I will post the numbers in the shop so that customers can gain an understanding of how I came up with the hourly rate.

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
andrew, very good,down to earth thread that everyone should read. will keep it in a folder in the event it ever gets good enough to charge for,right now i still pay for people to haul it away. real good business sense and thanks for posting....

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew,
Thanks for the best explanation by far I have ever heard on this subject.

Stewart

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
In another thread it was mentioned about "buisness classes for engraving". Well, over the centuries the business basics havn't changed weather you be a barber, tinker, tailor or engraver.

There are several sides to being self employed. You become a jack of all trades. Office clerk, advertising agent, tax collector, secretary, accountant, quality controler, cheif cook and bottle washer all rolled into one.

The most fundamental thing in being self employed is how you charge your work out. It can mean the difference between making a good income or going broke. Some time ago I wrote an article for the FEGA Engraver magazine explaining how to work out your hourly rate.

You can access this link http://www.awardsigns.co.nz/fega.htm and download and print it for your own use.

I just hope that some of you will benefit from it and that it can help you in your business endevours.

Cheers
Andrew
Is there anyway to dig up that article you printed sir? That would be invaluable to us greenhorns.

Matthew Evans

Elite Cafe Member
he put the link in his posting.
Its a dead link, but i think i found some good basic business advice from a few other postings, so all is well if not. Its from over ten years ago, so it was a shot in the dark.