C A SWEET

clkco

Have an older gun from the early 50's that has been fairly heavily by a C.A SWEET. Has anyone one ever heard of him?? Also have an early mauser action, spoon handle bolt with Germania Waffenwerk stamped on top of barrel. The action, all the floorplate, trigger guard, and all the bolts to hold it together are engraved and stamped Q. Anyone know who Q is???

clkco

On the SWEET gun it's about 2 inches up the barrel, the top of the receiver is untouched, but the full-length one-piece scope base and rings are. The whole underside has elaborate, I guess, scroll engraving but the hinged mag floor plate has a very nice buck standing in a stream. The factory rubber but plate has been removed and again some elaborate scroll engraving on a metal plate with a bear head in the center where there is a trap door for ammo storage, I'm assuming. The Mauser has again elaborate scroll engraving on top of the receiver from end to end and also the bolt handle. The action has the notches cut in both sides and rear to accept the zip strip style of loading. The bottom has elaborate scroll engraving from front bolt to trigger guard with a buck and a doe on the floor plate and it opens with a lever which is engraved also. The trigger guard has more scroll engraving with only one buck in the center. It also has a double set trigger.

clkco

Witch one you want pictures of, I'm assuming the Mauser action? The first one was engraved by C.A SWEET I was just wondering if anyone on here knew of him as I can find nothing. I will try and get some good pictures uploaded tomorrow.

clkco

I'm trying, was sick Monday so got home and went to bet. Got the camera out today and the battery is dead. Got it charging and hopefully will get them on tomorrow.

clkco

hears the sweet one

Attachments

• IMG_0510.JPG
    IMG_0510.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0512.JPG
    IMG_0512.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 71

clkco

This is the mauser action one with everything being stamped Q

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 56

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I believe that C.A.Sweet was the gunsmith who was responsible for your rifle. Engravers don't usually put their name so prominently on a rifle barrel, but custom gunsmiths do.

Now that I can see the engraving on your rifles, it is obvious to me that your guns were engraved in Germany or possibly in Austria. The tell is in the style of scrollwork. Germanic engravers were trained in a very strict system that causes their work to all look similar, unlike American engravers.

I believe that the Q you refer to is a factory assembly mark.

clkco

I have been through the germanhuntinggun site and didn't find much on the actual gun I have. I have sent out several e mails to different groups who have not responded so I guess it is what it is!! On the sweet gun i did notice in the pic od the butt stock there is the letter E on the bottom left of the flap door. just saw it for the first time in the pic. The mauser action gun I can see it being engraved in Germany but the Sweet gun would be a definite mystery as to how that happened. Am not doubting you AT ALL and have had another friend of mine mention that the Sweet name might have come out of Germany just don't know how I have wound up with it in the US!! Gus is pushing 70 years old and unfired. It was complete redone with new wood and all, even a custom-built cherry wood case,,, just makes me wonder

Latest posts

Sponsors