Cameo in an Ivory frame.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This was my Christmas Holiday project. The figures are based on the "Nymph and Satyr" (sometimes titled: "The Intoxication of Wine"), a small terracotta statue by Claude Clodion ca. 1775. Several of you have already seen it at Reno but I wanted to get as many critiques as possible. I learned the basics of cameo carving in Naples, Italy somewhere around 1981, while I was stationed on the USS Nimitz. I haven't touched it since then and I just happened onto some of my cameo shell blanks just before Christmas. So I thought, "what the heck" it will be good practice for Hobo nickels! I roughed the basic outlines out with rotary dental burs down to the colored layer of shell and carved the figures with standard flats and rounds. Cameo shell is relatively soft so the carving can be done with simple push techniques (more scrapping than carving). I was very happy to find the GRS graver push handle that uses the "Quick Change" collets, so that I didn't have to use anything other than my standard gravers. After I finished the cameo, I didn't know what to mount it on. Originally, I was going to use a simple Cocobolo slab but it looked too dark. Then I remembered that I still had a good supply of pre-embargo ivory. It's been sitting in my studio for over thirty years. Since I became more aware of the plight of the elephants, I haven't touched the stuff. But, I also felt guilty for owning it and NOT USING IT for some artistic purpose! It just seemed MORE of a waste. So I decided on an ivory frame in a rather Victorian style. I actualy spent more time on the darn frame than on the cameo itself!

The total project took about 45 hours of carving and polishing. The cameo is about 3" x 2.3" with a total framed size about 4" x 3.3". Unfortunately, the cameo shell began to crack before I could mount it in the frame but it doesn't detract too much from the total effect. I "doctored" the photos in Photoshop to eliminate the cracks in the enlargements. They just looked too big on the screen even though they don't seem so prominent in real life.

Hope you enjoy seeing it.

Mark

Attachments

• Nymph&Satyr-full-size.jpg
    Nymph&Satyr-full-size.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Nymph&Satyr1.jpg
    Nymph&Satyr1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 139
  • nymph_satyr_closeup.jpg
    nymph_satyr_closeup.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 112
  • nymph_satyr_frame.jpg
    nymph_satyr_frame.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
wow ! that's just to stare at for a long time ! really very attractive work. thanks for showing this ! i often wanted to try doing a cameo , but never knew what kind of shell to use or where to get it .

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
MARK ----- that's just to good !!! Your work is stunning and hard to believe it only took you 45 hours to do. When are you going to do something in gold ? Ken

Andrew Biggs

Hi Doc

It was a real pleasure to meet you at Reno.

I was fortunate enough to see this cameo peice in Reno and it's very impressive indeed. Lets see some more of your beautiful work.

Cheers
Andrew

michaelp

Elite Cafe Member
Mark, all I can say is outstanding. It was nice meeting and talking with you in reno. Cameos ,engraving, and making pink things for the airtac. your a true talent.it's a shame you have to do that dentist thing on the side. whats next? there is that cameo knife project you were talking about. thanks for posting

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!! But I think that gentlemen should consider shaving his legs.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark, I got the pleasure of viewing it at Reno as you know. It is exquisite and top of the line work. Carry on!!.....Ron S

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Mark,
Like Ron and Andrew, I had the pleasure of seeing and holding your remarkable cameo artwork in my own hands. A true work of art, just breathtaking.
I don't know which I liked best, the wonderful cameo or the outstanding carved ivory frame.
Thank you for sharing it with us and I hope to see more of your fine work in the future.

Very best regards, John B.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Mark,
As a C&B tech in another life, I can only imagine what a dream it would be to work on cr. preps supplied by you!!!! This cameo is stunning.
gailm

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Me too...I had the privlege of seeing this beauty in-hand, and it was a delight to the eyes. Wonderful carving indeed! Photos are great but you really need to see the actual piece to appreciate how lovely it is. / ~Sam

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
The subtlety of the muscles in her legs, the bottom of her foot, that really shows how well you did this.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all the kind comments guys and gals! A special thanks to Gargoyle, as your work as a professional sculptor is fabulous, I appreciate your feedback tremendously. I really enjoyed making this piece, far more than I thought I would. I'm sorry it took me so many years to get back to doing another cameo. Currently however, I really want to learn how do inlay gold. After going to the seminars in Reno, I'm fired-up to add this technique to my bag of tricks. I'm only sorry I didn't buy gold last January when it was "only" $600, now it's $900! Heck, if wishin' would do any good, I'd go back to 5 years ago when it was only $350 per ounce! Oh well!

Thanks again,

Mark

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is beautiful work Mark. You don't even see much of this quality work coming from Italy anymore. Hand carved cameo of the quality you have just accomplished is almost a lost art. With computers and ultrasonic carving in the agates it's very tough to compete in the commercial market. There is nothing like hand carved in quality your able to do.
Thanks for posting it is very enjoyable to view.