Can I adjust the pressure relief valve of my GM myself?

Patrice Lemee

Thanks for the tip J.T. Never thought about that since I read that you had to keep the tubing as short as possible but if you say it still works and helps with the heat I'll surely give it a try. :thumbsup:
And don't worry about the fan, it is only plastic blades and very low torque. I can stop it with my finger...ask me how I know. :eek: But I'll still look for something enclosed to replace it eventually.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Patrice, one of the things I did with my GM was to pipe the exhaust out a window which removed some of the noise and most of the hot oil smell from the shop. I used various pieces of tubing to step up the exhaust outlet to the inside diameter of some garden hose, mounted a small board in the window after adding a hole in the board and stuck the end of the hose through it. It was an improvement I enjoyed for many years. If I remember right, there was a small hole punched into that canister which I plugged with a small stick.

Anyway, something for you to consider.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Patrice Looks like you may have your problem sorted out.....I looked at your website and was amazed at the quality of craftsmanship and design you have put into your knives...I will be anxious to see your engraving....I also looked at your tip page and found a solution to a problem I have had for 20 years, by using a bearing to straighten thin stock up in a 3 jaw chuck..... You are quite an inventive guy....Keep up the good work.

Bob

Patrice Lemee

Thanks for the tip Sam. I have a question though, not sure I understand exactly where in the circuit to pipe it out. You say you plugged the canister outlet hole. Does that mean that you bypassed the canisters altogether?

Thanks for the good words Bob. I am sure glad you found a tip you can use. It makes me happy and it's a big incentive for me to put up some more when time permits. I can't claim credit for that one though, it is something I found on the web, can't remember where. It was too good not to pass along.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
When looking at the two canisters on the side of the GM the one on the left is the exhaust canister and on the bottom is the exhaust outlet. For some reason the canister also had a small hole just punched into the side of it up near the top. I plugged that hole (with a small sheet metal screw instead of a stick...just took a look at it) so all the exhaust goes out the bottom outlet and from there I piped the exhaust out the window.

Patrice Lemee

Thanks Sam for the explanation. :thumbsup:
The added hole is probably to bleed more heat, mine has 6. :eek: But they will be easy to plug. I will probably make the center one larger to do the same thing as the multiple holes while piping out like you suggested.

Latest posts

Sponsors