Can i build a sharpener out of a ceiling fan?

thatcher

I don't really see why i should buy a power hone when i am pretty sure that with the motor from a ceiling fan, a voltage regulator and some mounting fabrication i could make one myself. the fan can go both directions and if it spins true then there shouldent be a problem. any one done this? should be a cheap alternative.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sharpening is very critical to successful engraving, and accuracy is the name of the game. Keep that in mind when fabricating a system your work depends on.

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
I finally got tired of doing some things on the cheap. After struggling with hand-sharpening, I bought a new GRS power hone system. It wasn't cheap, but it sure simplifies my life. I'm still looking for a cheap alternative for a microscope boom, but may have to bite the bullet soon.

I wouldn't mess with the ceiling fan thing. Unless you just want something to tinker on, you'll waste more time and garner less benefit. I'd be more inclined to use an old record player turntable if I wanted to be inventive.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Absolutely it can be done. Red Green once made a lawnmower by duct taping a ceiling fan under an oldsmobile.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
homebuilt sharpener

I built one 15 years ago and am still using it.I built a steel box and mounted an elctric motor inside with the shaft coming out the top plumb.the motor was a small1/5 hp with1/2" shaft,I don't remember what the rpms are but it goes about three time as fast as the Powerhone.the only parts that are comerciallymade were the quickchange platen thatGRS sells and the diamond disks ect.The machine works fantastic,I can sharpen and shape tools three times faster and it cost me about 150.00 to build.Still going strong today.
I did have to turn an adapter to fit on the end of the shaft to accept the QC disk on the lathe.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
homebuilt sharpener

most any electric motor will make a sharpener. i believe it's critical to keep the rpm way down. the tiny area you're working will heat up instantly at higher speeds, ruining temper. just as critical is a way to accurately and repeatedly hold the little tools to get the various geometries correct. also higher rpm will sling the coolant off onto the nearest wall that your wife painted last week. i am always a fan of avoiding spending money when you're a newbie. my exception is here. at first opportunity a powerhone and graver holder should be considered for purchase-- unless you have the ability to really create a system that can do this work in accurate fashion.:eek:

cwbyengraver

yes it can be done very easy use a motor from a BBQ spit build a plywood box 6x10x5 open on bottom figure whrer you whant the plate drill a hole pull the cover off the motor housing screw the cover inside of box replace cover the shaft hole is square i used jb weld and a cut off bolt for the spindle lay a peice of sheet metal on top and you are done lots! of toqure that will get you by very well

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
One word of caution to anyone mixing liquid coolant with electrical devices ... spend the $8 or so and properly install a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) on the electrical supply. If you wire these devices backwards, they will NOT work but if wired correctly a minor boo boo may not end you life via electrocution - be absolutely sure a GFCI device is installed correctly and everything else is wired correctly as well. If you fail to connect the equipment safety ground, you completely defeat the whole purpose of it being there. As little as 0.008 amps at 120 volts AC can be fatal! If you're dead, you ain't gotta worry about saving money!

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
If you make your own, think about how you will get the turntable to run true. You can't afford to have the platen wobbling; that will give you all kinds of headaches. If you have a lathe, or know someone who can do it for you reasonably, do it. This will be the last thing you do when you build it, but if you can't do this part well, it ain't worth the effort.

make sure you keep the speed down. The ceiling fan motor arrangement might be just the ticket.

Tom

thatcher

thanks for the advise. i can weld and have a wire feed at the house. was thinking about running over too the hardware store and picking up a fan motor and i guess the thing is called a speed control. should be able to keep the rpms down pretty easy. also have any of you used a blank sharpening lap with sandpaper and the like to achive the same results? i just purchased a graver max and am running out of money.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Thatcher, back when I was in gunsmith school 1980 I made a lot of tools including or duplicating the GRS sharpening fixture. It worked pretty good, but the origional is a lot sweeter. I still have to make a lot of tools and fixtures such as the ceiling mounted barrel straightening press that looks just like the ones that are shown in the book "Four Centuries of Leige" , but it is all about time now. If I had to I could duplicate the power hone. And just for your own knowledge the power hone has a small pulley on the drive motor and a large pulley under the grind stone about 4 inch in diamator with a big o-ring for a drive belt.

Ed DeLorge

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Just for parts of any kind, and a free education, check this site out: http://www.mcmaster.com/
They have the smartest most intuitive site I have EVER seen for mechanical goods.

O-rings, motors, controls, etc.

I just bought some flat disc diamond hone wheels for $31 ea. off e-bay. They are thin, so I need to have a permanent support disc mounted on my machine. 6" dia, 1/2 hole. I'm using an old Elvis CD charged with diamond polish for final lapping. Go to ebay and search for: part # 230130176211

Latest posts

Sponsors