Cape Buffalo

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are a couple of pics of a cape buffalo I did recently. One is of the Original (raised steel inlay done on a Dakota #10), the other is of a silver pendant.
I made the sterling silver oval, engraved it, made the hanger and added it on, then added the buffalo.
The buffalo head is where it gets interesting (if it's been boring up to now!). I made a rubber mold of the buffalo head on the side of the Dakota. I then used PMC (precious metal clay) to gently press into the rubber mold. After letting it air dry, I cleaned it up and then fired it in the kiln. As you may (or may not already) know, PMC is silver dust in an organic binder and sort of has the consistency of slimy play dough before it's fired. After being fired (according to the instructions), the organic binder is burned out leaving pure silver. The version I used for this piece shrinks about 28% but retains the proportions and details of the original. PMC is a little lighter (for the given volume) than silver sheet or a casting but the possibilities are almost unlimited.
I thought this would be a way to use (the extreme amount of work on)the original several times.
I purchased the PMC I have through Rio Grande supply.

Thought you would enjoy seeing what happens when I get locked in the shop for a while!

Weldon

Oh, I still have a little to do on the pendant

Attachments

• Dakota 024.jpg
    Dakota 024.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Cape Buffalo pendant.jpg
    Cape Buffalo pendant.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 267

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Weldon,
Great idea to make the most of your beautiful sculpture and hard work.
May I ask? How did you attach the PMC casting to the silver pendant?
Soldering, blind rivets?

Best, John.

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Now your on the right trail,no place to go but up.Did you get a lot of bounce when sculpting? If you fill a reciever with casting wax it eliminates the problem

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Weldon,
Your work is a joy to see....
I enjoyed your sculpture tutorial in the Engraver...
You keep pushing the envelope....
More Inspiration for myself.
Thanks,
Stephen

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yet another benefit to your sculpting abilities!

I'm thinking the shrinkage of the PMC could be used to good effect in making a 'his & hers' set. Sculpt his, 'cast' it in PMC and the shrinkage gives you a precise yet smaller copy for her.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Exactly, Steve!

The client will be getting a copy of the work for himself and/or his significant other. I am doing an elephant on the other side and will do the same with it as well! I won't use these too much but they will definitely show up a couple of times.

Weldon

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great work, Weldon!
Definitely has the Winston Churchill influence.
Your W.C. progress is much farther along than mine.
I can draw the individual leaves and elements, but I sure struggle with design and layout.
You did a great job with this.....(I've wondered about the PMC...now I know what to expect)
Thanks for showing us how it's done!

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Brian,

One of the cool things (as you very well know) about getting to study with greats like Winston Churchill is subsequently watching how the influence is taken in, digested and processed into something unique to the individual doing the work. We are all just a little different (read that how you want!!), so we as artists, utilize the influences from those we admire to make us better! My work is definitely "crude" in comparison to WC but I will try to take what I have learned and mix it in with the rest of the stuff (in my head) and move a little farther in the direction of perfection (I know I'll NEVER arrive at perfection, it's the pursuit,..... the pursuit that keeps me chasing day after day!

Your multi color gold is super!!!

Weldon

Andrew Biggs

Hi Weldon

Another winner and beautiful work as always.

Thanks for sharing about that PMC stuff. I've read about it but this is the first time I've actually seen it used by anyone on the forums.

Looks like it has to go on the shopping list as the possibilities are endless.

The rubber mould..............was it just the same stuff that you make resin castings with? or was it something a bit more robust?

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon hats off to you. The raised steel inlay is very impressive and artistic. The sculpting is very precise. Excellent work you should be very proud. You should think about picking up some casting equipment and try your hand at lost wax casting. I think you would like it.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys!
Andrew; yes it's the same 2 part stuff we use for making a resin casting mold.

Mike: Thank you for the nice comments & compliments on the work. I actually have a lost wax setup that is in storage at the moment. I really should get it out and do some more with it as it's been a good while since I've done any casting. Usually with me trying out new stuff is a function of the time I have to dedicate to a project. I have to fit the "I wanna try this" into the "I have to get this done" schedule which usually means my ideas will sit simmering on the back burner for a while if not longer. I know you know all about that too!!

I have been intriuged with PMC since I first read about it years ago and have always wanted to try something with it. PMC will never replace lost wax but I don't think that was the intention, however it does open up lots of possibilities to the imagination!

What I really hope to see is this fueling the imagination and spurring the creative thinking of the other members of this forum. Who knows what we'll see next (and that my friends, is the most exciting part!!)!

Weldon

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So it is an evil plot!

You get to sell the husband a somewhat nicer job of engraving and you get to sell the pendants for the wife!

Now that's a clever way of making a job more rewarding. :)