carbide burs

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
I was wondering if any body could give me a heads up on were you get your burs for background removal.Here is a picture of a key faub i did. I lined the outside and removed the inside. just looking to speed up the back ground process. Thanks Doug

Last edited:

Jon C. Dake

Doug: I buy my 1/4 rounds from Lasco Diamond Products http://www.lascodiamond.com/products/stndcbfg.htm . These seem to be about as small as the rounds come and are what you need for the detail work. Andy Shinosky was the one who provided the information on this supplier. They are $11.00 for ten of them. You can request that they send them by mail which cuts down considerably on the shipping costs . I also buy some off of E-Bay and they are $5.99 for 50 burs. http://cgi.ebay.com/CARBIDE-BURRS-C...ryZ67243QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . The seller is Corn30_000. They come in assorted sizes and shapes and there doesn't seem to be much rime or reason for the selection of the burs that you get. Most of them are a too large for doing work on the inside of scrolls, but they can be used for the outside field areas and can also be used to sharpen into a point for clean up work, and the price is definitely right. They seem to hold up as well as the more expensive ones. Good luck and nice looking key fob.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
I use the really small ones from Lasco Diamond and some that are a larger pear shape which I immediatly spin down to a smaller size on the diamond lap. After I spin them down I grind a flat or two to enable them to cut. They work great for undercutting for gold inlays. Especially in hard to reach areas.

Marian Sawby

I use 1/4mm. carbide burs which are really, really small. I contacted the Lasco Diamond Co. about their 005 round carbide burr, which they called "1/4" to see if they meant 1/4mm. The response from Lasco was that is was a #1/4 which is about 1mm., considerably larger than the ones that I buy. 1/4mm. round carbide burs can be obtained from Basic Dental Products, Inc. Reference # 13014. Their phone number is 1-800-752-2742. I buy them 100 at a time, which costs about $120. I am presently experimenting with a Rio Grande product called Bur Life to see if applying it will increase the life of the bur.

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Marian, I had trouble with the size chart also. For all those wondering there smallest is .50 or 1/2 mm. I use 3/32 burs with the micro motor. I will try this company to see if they cary them with this shank size. I assume your using them in the 1/16 size for the air handpiece. Lucky you who gets to engrave on such wonderfull knives. The burr life is great stuff i use every day in the jewelry store works excellent on saw blades to. Doug

Marian Sawby

D: I don't know if the 1/4 millimeter round carbide burs that I get would have a shank of the right size for you. I do, indeed, use mine for the rotary hand piece. I looked for a long time to find burs that small. It appears as that Lasko doesn't have any smaller than 1/2mm. SSWhite Dental is the company that makes the quarter millimeter burs, but does not sell retail. A company named Conger used to carry them, but they went out of business, so I get them from Basic Dental at the number mentioned in my previous message. I think the woman runs this out of her home and she doesn't keep the 1/4mm in stock. She said she would if there were enough demand she would keep them on hand.

As you said, I know that I am lucky having Scott's knives to engrave. I have tremendous respect for knifemakers and the time spent in producing a quality product. Marian

Latest posts

Sponsors