catastrophic jumpring failure

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
engraved this silver 50 cent piece years ago. wear it daily. the reverse contains a list of meds i'm on and all the horrible diseases i have, list of all my girlfriends, etc ! jumpring broke, so i got a chance to take a pic of this pig !

Attachments

• medicalert.JPG
    medicalert.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 342

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thats realy nice Monk. How did you do that spiral pattern? Either you are really healthy or you can engrave really really small if you could fit all of your meds, diseases and girlfriends on the back of that. I would need a coin the size of a manhole cover.:eek:

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Nice job Monk, If you still got a silver dollor with all those girlfriends your doing allright.

David either you are very sickly or a braggert! Manhole cover? what would a guy use for a jumpring?

Jim Sackett :confused:

monk

Staff member
ah, the sharpgraver tells bigger whoppers than i do ! the spiral effect is a trick i learned using a woodlathe. this coin was spun on a metal lathe. the spiral is an anomaly resulting from tool chatter. after the main cleaning cut, use a rather flexible piece of spring steel a bit back from the coin face. a pattern will form. but you never know what pattern will emerge.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, would you say what you devised with the lathe is a homemade guilloche machine? I like the effect,,,,,makes me wish I had a lathe.:cool:

monk

Staff member
Monk, would you say what you devised with the lathe is a homemade guilloche machine? I like the effect,,,,,makes me wish I had a lathe.:cool:

don't know what guilloche is. the chatter technique is a common technique used by wood turners. a flexible tool is brought to bear against the revolving piece. if the distance betwixt the piece and the tool rest is great enough, a chattering effect will take place when the tool flexes downward and snaps back upward. if done just so so, a nifty geometric pattern will usually result. this done in metal is much more shallow, but still is attractive to the eye. unless one were to purchase a holtzapfel or rose engine lathe ( extremely expensive ) it's a matter of pure luck how the pattern looks.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Guilloche, Holtzapfel or rose engine lathe are all the same thing. Holtzapfel was the inventor back in the
1800's I believe. There are modern machine that do this with computer driven rather than cam driven actions.

New/Old =$$$$$$$$$$$$ unless you get really lucky and find one that need to be restored and know how to
do it.

There is a craftsman by the Name of James Miller of London, England that has some of this type of machining
in his work. http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid/jmdesign.htm