Chasaji (tea-scoop) in shibuichi and silver

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
(for sorting dry tea)

Snowflakes and snow in general are a particular fascination of mine and I've wanted to use that theme in these materials for a number of years.

"How full of the creative genius is the air in which these are generated! I should hardly admire them more if real stars fell and lodged on my coat." H.D. Thoreau, Journal, 1856

The main piece is 50/50 (copper/silver) shibuichi from Phil Baldwin. Two snowflake inlays in fine (pure) silver and one small inlay of 70/30 (copper/silver) shibuichi. Also a bunch of inlayed and chased fine-silver wire bits using five sizes of wire from 22g to 30g.

This piece has been one of my most demanding both in design and technique. It's the most abstract work I've done. I decided to make the snowflakes mostly of the "plate" type as I thought that more solid form would contribute to the layering effect I wanted. Also the more feathery type of flake would be beyond my capability to render at this scale! The hexagons also had to be very convincingly symmetrical.

Although I took design hints from a silver vase by Nakagawa Joeki in the catalogue Flowers Of The Chisel from Malcolm Fairley Gallery, I had to make many decisions about materials, placement, depth etc. relating to this form. The Shadow-Master (wife Jean) was indispensable as usual, especially in the placement and size of elements.

length 113mm(4.5")

Attachments

• IMGP7255PSEcorrectedweb.jpg
    IMGP7255PSEcorrectedweb.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Jim
Beautiful as allways, do you have another photo , I don't see the scoop aspect.:clapping:

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks very much guys!
Dave, it's a very simple form. The originals were probably sections of bamboo. On this piece the decoration is on the back side. The concave side would be the using side and is plain. Doubtful this would ever be used.

Attachments

• IMGP7264PSEweb.jpg
    IMGP7264PSEweb.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 195
  • IMGP7265PSEweb.jpg
    IMGP7265PSEweb.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 193

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a shame you post so infrequently. when you do make a post, it is always worth the wait. thanks for showing.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Jim.

I hope you don't mind me going off at a slight tangent but I'm starting to really interested in the psychology here. The simplicity of the Japanese style of design triggers something in us and we love it. Why?

I deal with a Japanese watch company who now own the Kindler & Thorpe brand and they are the complete opposite. They cannot get enough of the English/British stuff. They love the history and our applied art. Currently I'm working on 2 Rolexes that they want English fine scroll on as I explained to them that it was on watches and jewellery that it was originally used.

So we love the simplicity of the Japanese art and the Japanese love our, totally over the top by comparison, stuff. What gives? What is it about the human conditions that makes something unusual from another culture trigger something in our psyche that makes us desire it?

Last edited:

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Marcus for your thoughts. I actually think it's more complicated than you suggest, owing to the vast degree of variety in the human psyche. Certainly something from another culture can have an appeal, for many different reasons. For example, in my own case, and many others I can think of, it has, I think, to do with a deep, genuine resonance with a culture other than our own. In other words it's not just about a brief infatuation, or flavor-of-the-month(not that I think that's what you were suggesting), nor necessarily a rejection of our own culture.

I also meet plenty of people in the US from many persuasions who have little feeling at all for Japanese work.

I think what motivates humans to appreciate something over something else is too complicated to address in a few paragraphs.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Here are two more shots, the plain side is the scooping side:

Attachments

• IMGP7280PSEweb.jpg
    IMGP7280PSEweb.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP7278PSEweb.jpg
    IMGP7278PSEweb.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 21