Cheap Thrills, last night's eclipse

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cheap thrills:

At sunset, the west looked fine from my upstairs window looking at the Pacific ...

Shortly afterwards, from my workshop, I saw the full moon rise above the trees in the East and dominate the sky. It's light dimmed the sight of the heavens. The Milky Way was nowhere to be seen. Jupiter continued to stand bold and was a match for the moon, but its tiny moons were faint, in the face of the moonshine:

I went back to my engraving practice:

Kathleen was off in the Sierras, visiting her sister, so I set the alarm for about 2am, then dozed off a bit. Suddenly I awoke and looked out of the upstairs window, at a wondrous sight!

The starry heavens were all aglow with the Milky Way cutting through like some vast comet's tail. Over in the west side of town, house lights and those dang street lights are all thinly dispersed, and looking west to the Ocean gives a mostly dark sky.

Now the moon was in the south west, but it was not at all like the Moon. It looked as though it was Mars, come from a far, to make a neighbourly evening call. My pictures below do not do it justice, as it was a naked eye wonder, but what a wonder! At last, it was sitting amid the stars, full, but not grabbing the lime light. It had reduced its ego to be just one of the crowd. The mega object had at last decided
to let us see how the whole sky looked, while still offering us a delightful experience. For a few hours, a mellow yellow/red visitor sat right where the Moon should have been. It threw no shadows at ground level, and the stars were aglow everywhere. As the Earth's shadow passes over the Moon, the disk is always visible ... spill-over Earth-shine allows the viewer to see the object turn into yellows, reds, shadows, and finally bright edge light as the shadow recedes. Once this happens, quite fast the starlight diminishes once more, and you can see your shadow on the ground, as we get back to the more familiar miracle of just another full moon night. We don't have an eclipse every month like this, as we would have if the path of the Moon's orbit around the Earth was on the same plane as the path of the Earth around the Sun. Nature chose the circumstances that make the Moon's orbit around us be about 6 degrees out of kilter to the Ecliptic plane of the Earth around the Sun, so eclipses happen only now and then. Too mathematical? Oh, all that darn geometry and mathematics! Yet Gallileo was right, when he said the language of the Universe, of which we are a part, is mathematics. God is such a meany. Why could He not make the language of the Universe be that of moods, feelings, emotions, upsets, romance, fights, human drama, religious conflicts, you know, all of that stuff that keeps us busy with our lives, that sells millions of books, films, plays, and TV shows. Sorry, but Gallileo is right. Camus turned it into his moment of enlightenment when he wrote. "I at last threw my heart open to the benign indifference of the Universe."

... translation: it a'int out to git you, (but it a'int out to save you, either). It is simply there, and we are imbedded in it, so now what? Of course, that is a hotly debated little topic?

But wait, enough of philosophy, there is work to be done. I went down to the garden, and attached my camera to one eyepiece of my giant binocular ( kind of heavy, as they are x15 power, and need a tripod). I used the other eyepiece as a sighting telescope to find the moon and line things up. Not much light, so could not see if my focus was crisp enough, and the photos are no match the experience.....

That done, I did not want to let the magic pass, so I put technology aside, and walked down through the row of silent houses, until I reach the west edge of town, and turned towards the path to the cliff edge. I could feel my way along the path in the dark, using my feet to hunt for the vegetation on either side, and eventually stopped short, guided by the sound of the waves crashing on the cliffs below. Don't worry, I know the path well, and stayed back ten feet from the edge. Now the town lights were faint, and the sky was at its best. The fog horn sang its sad cry with a hoarse throat, modulated by the swell of the waves. Horn and waves mixed into a familiar sound. The wind was low, and the 'red planet' Moon hung out over the water in friendly company with its background Constellation. To the East, Orion was now up, and lying on its back, but Sirius was not yet up over the horizon. The Pleiades were up bright, Capella glowed in the Pentagon, you could see clusters in the Milky Way, and Jupiter to the west of the Moon. Strangely, I heard some wild fowl cry out from time to time. I guess they knew it was a special moment.

It was hard for me to turn again into town and back to my yard for a few more photos, and when I got back to bed about 5.30am, I lay in wonder before dropping off to sleep.

Wonder what was on TV last night?

best wishes

Rod

Last edited:

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
Rod,

Thank you! That was beautifully written. A nice escape of mid-afternoon reading. I feel very insignificant. I really need a vacation :) .

Last edited:
Very well written,
Thanks.
Set the alarm at our house as well and roused the kids to view the experience, It fell just short of elation.
We don't wonder about the T.V. anymore (it's been gone 14 yrs now), the small pleasures have so much more meaning without it.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Peter,

I know there are a ton of engravers who look in on the Forums, and who are masterful script cutters. As a couple of examples, when you watch Steve L's video on the Lindsay web, or sit by Sam when he is doing lettering, you get the feeling that these guys, and others, could hand cut their college lecture notes on metal about as fast as a student can write with a pencil.

But for those of us who are still mastering the flat graver, script lettering, being unforgiving, is a good practice exercise. At the start, rather than cutting sentences.... "to my grandson, etc.", why not computer-scan, say Meek's page in his book, where he shows the alphabet, and includes beside each letter the graver direction indicated by a small arrow. Now reduce that page to small size and do a transfer to your copper, or whatever metal. Now as you go ahead and cut the alphabet, as a novice, your are constantly shown which graver direction to take, as the little arrows have transfered onto the metal. So you go at the cutting, and the muscle memory starts to kick in, and gives you a natural feel for graver direction. Then go on into cutting without the arrows and see how you do, see if you have naturally absorbed the muscle memory without much thinking?

Rod

Andrew Biggs

Hey Rod

We were watching the same moon from the other side of the Pacific.

The night was cloudy but between bursts of clear patches we saw the moon turn a muted red. Unfortunatley sleep got the better of Mary and I and we had to head off to bed so we missed the full spectacle.

My thoughts were more of primitive times when people thought the world was ending and and saw it either as a good or bad omen. Today, even knowing the science behind it all, it's still a wonder to see.

The funny thing is that there are still people and cultures on the planet that would have seen it as a harbinger of good or evil times to come.............amazing really!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the suggestion Rod. I know what you mean watching Mr. Alfano draw and do some lettering. He makes it look so simple! I have also watched Steve Lindsay cut the letters on the flute and he also makes it look easy. I suppose with enough practice....it just may become easy....or easier anyway!

Peter

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Andrew!

One nice thing to keep in mind is that you and I and many others can look at the same object in real time, if it is way out there ... the moon being one of those objects. It is a nice thought. Another way of looking over each other's shoulder, when at work, is video conferencing. Steve E got me started, and I have to admit it can be fun. If you put a simple web cam aside, and instead hook a digital camcorder into the firewire on your laptop, you have all the comforts of a very nice long zoom, plus sound, and auto focus. I stuck mine on a two by four above my lathe, looking down on the chuck, and you can chat for hours, for free, as the lathe turning shows up on Steve E's laptop. Of course, you can look at the ball vise and engravings too. However, I may have to stop communicating with him, as we are starting to have too much fun. The other day, it devolved to singing country and western songs, and no flute making. Things are getting serious! Have you dabbled in free video conferencing, via software like Skype, which is cross platform and a free download?

best to you and Mary!

Rod

Last edited:

Sponsors