Chip inlay epoxy

Pancho

I searched and came up with bubkiss so I’ll just ask and risk the flaming. I was asked to do some tumblers for a wedding. Father of the bride wants a thin blue line beating heart. The ispiration picture has a blue line flag in the shape of a heart over a heart monitor line, would post a picture but don’t have it handy and don’t think I have the post count to post pictures anyway. My idea is to do a turquoise chip inlay for the blue line but I’m trying to do a one stop shop online, rio is out of the “suggested” epoxy so I was wondering if job welds epoxy would be good enough?
This will be my first try at this and I plan on playing around with it before the finished project as much as I can but with the 330 backordered I’m trying to explore other options. I have my doubts about the 5 min epoxy but if it will work then I can source it local and just go on with trying some things other than the relatively expensive turquoise before I jump into the final project, if it won’t then I can source it from another retailer but just figured id ask the collective wisdom of you all.

TLDR: will 5 min epoxy work in place of the recommended 330?

Thanks in advance pancho

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have had horrible results with nearly every "5 minute" epoxy i've tried. i used it to fill voids in carved wood signs. weeks later, the stuff would still be gummy or tacky. ymmv

Pancho

Thanks kanger, I’ll see if I can find some of the second, now that I think about it I’ve had similar results as monk but I have always convinced myself it was user error

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks kanger, I’ll see if I can find some of the second, now that I think about it I’ve had similar results as monk but I have always convinced myself it was user error
i always made sure the stuff was mixed really well. no fault in your procedure.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Only Epoxy 330 is water clear and hard enough to be ground and polished along with the chips. You could also use a blue color of Ceramit Enamel to give you a more uniform color.

Sponsors