Chisel Stainless holder

BigMeats420

Hey fellas im a new member and new to engraving, i bought a Chisel Stainless holder at Lindsay website for engraving. Now I'm not sure what gravers are compatible with the holder. If some1 can lend me a hand I would so appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

BigMeats420

Here again one more question, what kind of graver is ideal for chase hammer engraving? And what type of point is ideal also. Thankd

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey fellas im a new member and new to engraving, i bought a Chisel Stainless holder at Lindsay website for engraving. Now I'm not sure what gravers are compatible with the holder. If some1 can lend me a hand I would so appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
welcome to the forum. i'd suggest contacting steve lindsay. he will give you all the info you seek.

monk

Staff member
Here again one more question, what kind of graver is ideal for chase hammer engraving? And what type of point is ideal also. Thankd
i'm not sure there is a"one size fits all" type answer. different engravers may have differing suggestions as what works best.check in the tips section on graver angles, sharpening, and h&c work.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After 3/32, those chisel holders can basically handle any typical geometry... which is to say, i switched to hammer and chisel when my wrist was sore and i had some carving to do on the rd. I did not have to change any geometry and i was amazed at how much control I had with the technique.

JohnC

I typically use 3/32" square graver(s). Since I have the GRS Dual angle fixture I have been experimenting with sharpening round HHS drill blanks. Why you ask? They are inexpensive to purchase, They cut the same as the sharpened square graver and most importantly the round blank(s) don't cut into fingers of my left hand like the edged graver(s) do. If you are hammer and chisel engraving. Start with two hammers. Keep one stock size and weight and experiment with reducing the size and weight of the other. You will notice the difference and eventually find the best weight suited for your rate and force of hammer blow. Good luck, and enjoy!

monk

Staff member
for those using the round graver stock, it's important to grind a bit of a flat on the blank. this allows for accurate indexing in the sharpening rig. otherwise, it's a pita tryin to get repeatability when sharpening.

JohnC

Good idea; using a flat for indexing I use the QC holder; I use Grs QC holder to index

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Index so as to keep the same angle every time for consistent sharpening. Which is extremely important Welcome to the forum enjoy the journey

BigMeats420

I typically use 3/32" square graver(s). Since I have the GRS Dual angle fixture I have been experimenting with sharpening round HHS drill blanks. Why you ask? They are inexpensive to purchase, They cut the same as the sharpened square graver and most importantly the round blank(s) don't cut into fingers of my left hand like the edged graver(s) do. If you are hammer and chisel engraving. Start with two hammers. Keep one stock size and weight and experiment with reducing the size and weight of the other. You will notice the difference and eventually find the best weight suited for your rate and force of hammer blow. Good luck, and enjoy!

It's not the $ that gots me asking questions, it's cuz I wanna do the best decisions on knowing facts. That's y. Thanks

Latest posts

Sponsors