Cigar Tube

JDow

Has anyone engraved a stainless steel cigar tube before? Any tips or suggestions for holding properly for cutting and inlaying gold?

Thanks in advance!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
never did one. thermoloc or hotmelt glue might go a long way to secure it to a wood block. if it's flimsy, it would be wise to stuff the tube with a matching wood dowel to give it stiffness.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I’d fill the hole with shellac. Or something that will be sure to find the voids... as long as it doesn’\t have any paint or anything on it you want to preserve.. you’ll have to heat it, and soak it in alcohol or something to clean it up... could also just use plastercine.. but it will get runny with any heat.. maybe a combo of dowel and plastercine, for a relatively low mess situation that should be pretty rigid.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CJ's work is never disappointing, for sure.
As far as any advice for your project, all I can offer is from the work I do on flute instruments.
I use a mandrel to fill the tube and provide a solid support in both the holding and the engraving.
I suppose a dowel rod or something like bismuth shotshell shot would help.

JDow

CJ's work is never disappointing, for sure.
As far as any advice for your project, all I can offer is from the work I do on flute instruments.
I use a mandrel to fill the tube and provide a solid support in both the holding and the engraving.
I suppose a dowel rod or something like bismuth shotshell shot would help.
Interesting... pack it with shotshell... never tried that before.

monk

Staff member
i forgot. there's a metal material called "jigging metal". it can fill the tube safely. it can be melted with very hot water. leaves no residue. enough to fill the tube--- maybe 60 or so bucks at mcmaster carr. i had a disaster years ago with it. i supported a piece of gold jewelry for repair. yikes! it began to disolve the gold.

silvermon

i forgot. there's a metal material called "jigging metal". it can fill the tube safely. it can be melted with very hot water. leaves no residue. enough to fill the tube--- maybe 60 or so bucks at mcmaster carr. i had a disaster years ago with it. i supported a piece of gold jewelry for repair. yikes! it began to disolve the gold.
Commercial name is Cerrotru. Bismuth and tin, which is why you had a reaction with gold jewelry. Some alloys of gold will alloy with the bismuth or the tin. Cerrotru is generally safe with sterling and common 18K gold alloys. I haven't tried it with 14K (I never use 14K) or Argentium. 10K gold alloys are definitely risky with Cerrotru.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
Just wondering, I've never used the low melting temp metal... would it work better, i.e. not bond to another metal, if you used something like a silicone mold release spray? Assuming this would be for a similar use - filling a container or concave surface to provide support, and not a flat object.

Thanks,
Doug

silvermon

Just wondering, I've never used the low melting temp metal... would it work better, i.e. not bond to another metal, if you used something like a silicone mold release spray? Assuming this would be for a similar use - filling a container or concave surface to provide support, and not a flat object.

Thanks,
Doug
I used old engine oil, applied very thinly. Soak a paper towel and using a large tweezers to rub it in the tube. It worked fine. Remember that the metal will flow at 208 degrees (I think) Fahrenheit, most oil won’t even smoke at that temperature. I also use Olive Oil a lot. BTW, you can also accomplish your goal using raw pitch. Cheaper, but it is messier.

Latest posts

Sponsors