Cleaning up metal chips on floor

Hobie

I found that the "Frankford Arsenal Stainless Steel Media Transfer Magnet" is great for picking up the metal burrs that end up on the floor. For those not familiar with this tool, it is used with a wet tumbler and stainless steel pins to clean empty ammo casings before reusing them. Other manufacturers make a similar tool that has a spring loaded plunger to release the strong magnetic pull. I would probably use a regular magnet if I didn't already have this tool, but passing this along as an interesting option.

Attachments

• Frankford Arsenal Stainless Steel Media Transfer Magnet.jpg
    Frankford Arsenal Stainless Steel Media Transfer Magnet.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 16

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
The contractor version has a longer handle so that you can stand straight up and sweep the floor. I have the Frankford Arsenal version that I bought to pick up stainless steel pins (boy is that a great system to clean dirty brass), but I use the contractor version in the shop to save my back.

Hobie

The contractor version has a longer handle so that you can stand straight up and sweep the floor. I have the Frankford Arsenal version that I bought to pick up stainless steel pins (boy is that a great system to clean dirty brass), but I use the contractor version in the shop to save my back.

Cool. I didn't know they made a version with a long handle. Just did a google search and couldn't find the Frankford Arsenal contractor version, but did find one made by Armstrong Magnetics, "Magnetic Bulk Parts Lifter PH-35L Long Handle". Here is the manufacturer's link and one from Amazon:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
rural king has a long handled version. i think it's called the "attractor" or something like that. i wrap a plastic bag over the face (about 4" diameter) when done, i simply pull the bag back off the head and discard the mess. better than gettin it on yer shoes.

Hobie

rural king has a long handled version. i think it's called the "attractor" or something like that. i wrap a plastic bag over the face (about 4" diameter) when done, i simply pull the bag back off the head and discard the mess. better than gettin it on yer shoes.
That's genius...it's the simple things in life that make a difference.

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
In the Frankford Arsenal short-handled one and the long-handled contractor ones, the magnet is spring-loaded inside of an aluminum housing. Once you pick up metal, you hold it over a trash can or other receptacle, pull the handle to raise the magnet off of the bottom, and the screws/chips fall away. No bag required.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After you've been in a shop/house for a few years, you'll start finding those %$#&ING engraving chips EVERYWHERE. Your clothes, furniture, carpet, pets, you name it. It doesn't matter how careful you are. Not exactly my favorite part about the art...