Close up photograpy help

James Wark

Hello All,

I am looking for suggestions on a lens to take quality close up photos, something that will show detail well. I have a Nikon D80 with standard lense, I think I need a macro lens? But what one will work the best. Should I use any filters. Most pictures will be firearms/knife engraving. I will be using some sort of light box and tripod.
Thanks
Jim

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A macro lens is perfect for really close, really tight shots.

But it can be a terrible choice for 'overall' shots, although my 100mm macro lens makes a fantastic portrait lens.

I've actually had good luck taking 'macro' shots with telephotos, believe it or not. Set yourself right at the minimum focus distance and zoom on in.

In other words, experiment a little bit with your working distance and you might find an unexpected sweet spot.

Oh, and just a reminder: the number one thing you can do to improve your pictures is to use a tripod.

I put a simple 'Small Object Photography' tutorial in the TIPs section. You probably already know everything it covers but it could be helpful for some of the folks browsing the thread.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures of your work! :)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Photography is no different than engraving, meaning that what's acceptable to you today might not be acceptable next week. I used to think I was getting fabulous results with my little Nikon Coolpix that could focus very closely. The results were good, but not fabulous. Once you use a quality lens your standards for what's acceptable might change. My advice is to avoid screw-on supplemental lenses used for close-up work and get a good macro lens. The 60mm lenses are very good, but I prefer the flatter field and better working distance provided by short telephoto lenses such as 105mm or 150mm macro lenses. Screw-on close-up lenses add more glass between the subject and the sensor, and more glass - in allmost all cases - will affect sharpeness. Then again, it all depends on how fussy you are.

~Sam

p.s. I should also add that images viewed on the web or a computer are much less critical than images used for print.

Latest posts

Sponsors