Cobalt.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
A question about graversteel.

I ordered a Cobalt graver the other day, and the next I recieved a Glennsteel graver at home.
Does this mean that all Glennsteel gravers are cobalt? Or where can I find the properties for graver materials?

Thanks already.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I can't answer on the glensteel other than they are a good tool. If you are interested in cobalt take a look at the classified section and check out what Jon C Dake has to offer. The price is great and the gravers are a charm to use. Jon is really great to deal with .

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no dust is deemed safe to breathe. having said that, a grs powerhone at its low rpm, and charged with a drop or 2 of mineral oil, you ainta gonna be breathin anything anyway. you can do the tools dry, but why would you ? done wet, you get a superior finish on the tool, and the diamond disk will last way longer if you run it wet !

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk,
I fully agree with you that grinding wet yields superior sharpening and the wheels last longer as well. I think a lot of folks sharpen dry because if you go to class at GRS that is what is shown. Not sure why.

Peter

monk

Staff member
cobalt

grind wet , then one dry. peek thru the scope. the result is clear, as is the economics of lubing the wheel.
my guess is at the school it probably takes a bit more time to keep the wheels free of sludge and clean. also for a student, i'm thinkin they aren't worried about the difference in tool quality. they are trying to jam a lot in a short time, not a lot of time for all the tiny details in a few days i would guess.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hy Monk,

I always cut with water, but at your advise tried oil.
Thank you! That's a lot less hassel.
Have to try yet to facet a stone on those laps, but think that won't be a problem.
And although I have no experiance with engraving classes, I do think your right.
"lets engrave!, the sharpening will come later!":D

M

mcrapo

Daniel
Glennsteel gravers are listed as High Speed steel gravers and not Cobalt. I think they are a special mixture of steels that GRS has developed. They work great, and I love mine.

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I never thought about using water or oil on the GRS hone. I will give the oil a try.

Thanks
Mike

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
For me a best of sharpening lubricant is WD40. If you use after sharpening a piece of paper towel, your sharpening stones will be every time clean.

monk

Staff member
cobalt

i am 1 step behind dmitriy. i use the wd-40 to clean the mineral oil and sludge off the hone using a tooth brush. i do this over newspaper. the wd-40 really cleans the wheel. i prefer the mineral oil. its' higher viscosity prevents it flinging off the wheel. whatever works .:D

Dmitriy Pavlov

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Monk,
I think you are rights for high speed rotation. For low speed and for my favorite hand sharpening stonesб WD-40 works perfect.

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
windex

I use windex to lube my diamond wheels...cheap, handy spray bottle, don't smell too bad and works like a champ