coin carving

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
how does one go about carving coins? do you flatten the surface and then start your design?what gravers is mostly used and any helpful info will be greatly appreciated. i want to try a entry into the penny carving competition.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
When carving the coin just use what metal is there, no need to flatten anything or grind any material off to start. You want material, the more material you have the higher relief you can do. If for some reason you have a design in mind that is shallow, does not need the available raised metal areas, or is a single level design, then cutting the surface area flat would not be a bad thing. If you intend to make use of existing elements on the coin, then leave them and proceeed with the engraving. Any engraving tool you use in other mediums is fine for coin carving. I use gravers, chisels, punches, flexshaft with burs, gravermax, etc. The shape of the engraving tip merely reflects the shape you want to cut. Die and moldmaker stones are good for finishing. Please see my hobo nickel page and process page at www.sga-sculpture-engraving.com, there will be some information to help. Steve

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I forgot to mention. Click on the Ella coin or George bush coin for carving demo photos on the website. Steve

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
wow thank you Steve.that is some skillful carving.i don't have a bead blaster or sanding stones but will make a plan.i am not going to make a coin resembling someone i think that takes a lot of skill to achieve that.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Jacques
You wont have much of a problem working a penny as the metal is very soft. The big trick is havinga few flats that are small enough to get in and do the work with (1-2mm wide). Considering the way copper works you can easiliy use HSS gravers which are cheap or grind down nails or any other junk you have laying around to make tools.

Hit up your local dentist for some old diamond bits - what are worn out for him will prove to be nice texturing tools for you! Use your imagination.

Latest posts

Sponsors