Question: Cold blue

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
without digging up my bottle, iirc, cold blue is usually some mix of selenic(?) acid and while 24K is almost impervious to most acids i'm guessing it can oxidize the surface ever-so-slightly before the reaction peters out? somebody once told me iodine stains gold, too, but i'm not sure why anyone would be using that for anything?

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, I have no clue, but when I used my 30 year old bottle of Cold blue on my gold, the gold surface turned from yellow to green colour:))

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brownell's gunsmithing supply sells a bluing solution Classic American Rust Bluing Solution,very easy to use and will not effect the color of gold or silver. J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I expect you are right Jerry. Herter's Belgian Blue will coat gold with a wash of mercury which amalgamates with the gold...yes, the solution has some form of mercury in the formula. Nothing like very bright silver color for your gold!!

I LEARNED THAT THE HARD WAY ABOUT 35 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!! I used to do my own rust bluing and the parts came out of the tank and I thought, "WHAT THE FUUUUDGE???"

If any of you don't want to learn from my experience, you'll be needing this next bit of info:
Put the newly 'silver plated' parts in an oven at 350deg. for an hour or two, which will vaporize most of the mercury. NEED I ADD THIS SHOULD BE DONE WITH GOOD VENTILATION? Then when the parts cool, rubbing them with a pink drafting eraser should return them to their previous yellow glory.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That old bluing had mercuric chloride in it. None of the blues offered today contain it as it was banned as a health risk many years ago......for obvious reasons. I've still got a couple of bottles of Birchwood Casey blue, but the MC has crystallized and fallen out of suspension.

gcleaker

Elite Cafe Member
I LEARNED THAT THE HARD WAY ABOUT 35 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!! I used to do my own rust bluing and the parts came out of the tank and I thought, "WHAT THE FUUUUDGE???"

If any of you don't want to learn from my experience, you'll be needing this next bit of info:
Put the newly 'silver plated' parts in an oven at 350deg. for an hour or two, which will vaporize most of the mercury. NEED I ADD THIS SHOULD BE DONE WITH GOOD VENTILATION? Then when the parts cool, rubbing them with a pink drafting eraser should return them to their previous yellow glory.

Latest posts

Sponsors