Colt 32 Engraving

John Phillips

I am very impressed with the Colt 32 that was so beautifully engraved, but have a question. I have the same pistol in 98% condition and was wondering how engraving outside of the factory would affect the value of the pistol. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
John,If your Colt 32cal.pistol is 98% condition don't engrave it or it will effect the value,find what I call the perfect canaidate any gun with little bluing and with years wear.Do you have the box and paper work that came with the Colt? J.J.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes. I agree with JJ. This 32 I engraved was a project gun for the owner. He had stripped it fully and worked down most of the unevenness and pitting. I did some minor polishing to the areas I engraved.

If you want to do a gun like what I engraved, find one that is relatively clean of major pitting. And has lost its original bluing or plating. Minor scratches aren't a problem.

Using various sanding papers and abrasive stones the gun can be brought back to nice crisp edges and flat clean surfaces. I find the rapid break down stones sold by Gesswein (die makers stones) to really work the best at leveling the and smoothing the surfaces.

If you aren't comfortable doing this work, some engravers will do it and most gunsmiths will do it.