Colt revolver engraving question

LtDan

Hello,
I am posting pictures of a Colt Police Positive Special revolver that was manufactured in 1960. I wondered if anyone could identify who did the engraving?
It has gold inlay, and on the left side of the barrel is "LEX ET ORDINES" (Latin for "Law & Order"). The "scales of justice" is on the left frame.
Thanks for any opinions/comments.
Right -cylinder.jpg Cylinder.jpg Scales.jpg Right frame.jpg Left - scales.jpg Left .jpg

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good looking gun! I'll pass along the standard advice to look under the grip panels for any initials, also around the trigger guard area.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am going to take a flier and say, on the basis of the scroll shape, the leaf shapes, the liner shading and the arrangement of the dots and the competent but quickly done gold work, that may be the work of A.A. White, or another related Colt factory engraver of that period.

Last edited:

LtDan

Thank you for the comments/opinions. I could not see any initials under the grip panels or around the trigger guard. We have requested a Colt letter to confirm if it was engraved when it left the factory. Thanks for the information and suggestions.

Allen6482

Did ya ever find out who did it? I've got a similar one

Attachments

• 20210211_202916.jpg
    20210211_202916.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20210211-171158_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210211-171158_Facebook.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 49

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
I've seen this Colt Police Positive somewhere before...in a magazine or engraving book. It is beautifully engraved. The scrolls and layout are Masterful and executed typically of Colt Custom Shop engravers. Barry may be on-the-mark with Alvin White or one of his contemporaries.

In regard to the second set of photos - I see absolutely no parallels between the two examples. Yes, they are both Colts, and they both have a Scale of Justice engraved on the side panels, but the scrollwork on #2 is amateur at best - poorly designed and executed.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In my opinion the Colt with the gold scales was not done by Alvin White. The scroll is very well done but I can't positively identify its engraver. White usually did mark his work under the grips. Below is an example of White's initials on a grip frame and an example of his scroll.

Attachments

• White, Alvin A. close up.jpg
    White, Alvin A. close up.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 39
  • #2313AM-AA White eng.-Rcu.jpg
    #2313AM-AA White eng.-Rcu.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 39