Colt saa frame

txwhite3

I have been engraving a late 3rd generation colt.Everything has been going fine till I got to the frame.
The case hardening it deep and so hard I don't think it can be engraved. I have tried different gravers
and different cutting angles and no luck. Has anyone out there run into this? I guess it needs to be annealed.
Any suggestions would be welcome. Right now I'm dead in the water. Thanks

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
txwhite3...First of all you need to get the barrel off the frame. The frame has to be annealed, then hand polished with wet/dry automotive paper..320 & down to 400 grit...NO buffing..a good way to anneal the frame..place in a small pan put into the oven at 475 degrees for 1 hr..this will take the starch out of the frame..best time to do it is when the wife is not home..good luck.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

txwhite3

Thanks for the tip. The gun has been been totally disassembled (barrel removed) and prepped for a satin
nickle finish.I've already engraved the cylinder and barrel with no problem. I did not realize the frame would
be this hard, I'll be sure to to check next time.I'm heating the oven up now. Thanks again

txwhite3

Well I tried the oven thing, and had no effect on the hardness.Guess I got a freak Colt. On to plan
B whatever that is.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
475 in a oven may help kill a thin case hardening skin on 1st or 2nd generation guns but I've heard the 3rd are much harder/deeper. For non-critical parts I have used the "oven clean" setting in my electric oven which is somewhere around 700 degrees. I wouldn't do this to a frame however. It may become too soft or there is also the possibility of warping. I would suggest a pro like Turnbull do it for you. They know what to do to make it right.

txwhite3

Thanks again,I talked to Turnbull and they were very helpfull.So needless to say problem solved. Hope
I can return the favor someday. Merry Christmas

Latest posts

Sponsors