Compressor loud „wooosh“ at end of charging

Daniel29

I have two compressor for working with my Airgraver. One is a small Sil Air 20A for working in my home workshop and a bigger 50/24 is used in my official workshop. My problem is not the noise of the charging process. What annoys me is the suddenly noise at the end of the charging. It makes a very loud wooosh when the compressor is filled. And since i am (as we all) working very focused this sound always gives me a scare jump at the bench.

I am pretty sure that it is necessary to release the excessive preassure at the end of the charging process. But its just annoyin.

On the small 20A there was a hose leading outside of the compressor. I wrapped a cloth around the end of that hose and pushed it in a cup. that way the excessive air can still be released but it is very silent now and it took the peak out of the sound. Attached is a image of my „silencer“.
Unfortunally there is no such hose on the 50/24 and i dont know how to silence it.

Has anyone had the same issues with the compressor and maybe a solution? Putting the compressor in another room is not possible.

Attachments

• 2A4EC75A-068C-4AAC-AEB4-071F473B4668.jpeg
    2A4EC75A-068C-4AAC-AEB4-071F473B4668.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 39

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it's bleeding pressure against the switch valve so it doesn't have to overcome that to reopen for the next cycle. what you can do about it depends on a lot on the switch design. some have a threaded port that can be routed into a muffler (various types & sizes available from pneumatic suppliers), but for some of the simpler ones you're pretty much stuck wrapping a towel around the switch housing. you could replace the switch to one with a port. they usually run about $50.

Daniel29

Thank you Mitch!

I try to find out which design the switch is. Even if i need to invest in that 50$ part, as long as i get rid of that startling noise it is worth it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have 4 compressors. 3 small, i large. all are silent xcept the 7.5hp. when the unloader valve opens on it , it's kinda very noisy. but the nature of the work i do with the big one, uh, i just ignor it. fortunately, it's located in my outside workshop.

Latest posts

Sponsors