Question: Computer

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I hope I can make myself clear in asking this question.

I like using Inkscape and CorelDRAW, but I cannot switch the drawing into the other program. Does anyone know how to work in Inkscape then put the drawing into Corel and make changes? Or put a Corel drawing into Inkscape. I am not sure this can be done, on the other hand with the knowledge on this forum, I'm sure if it can be done, someone will know how to do it.
Thanks

:beerchug:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't have those programs, but perhaps you can export to an EPS file and then open it with either application.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam, I will try that and see if I have a way to put the drawing into EPS format.

I will post results when I try it.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I hope I can make myself clear in asking this question.

I like using Inkscape and CorelDRAW, but I cannot switch the drawing into the other program. Does anyone know how to work in Inkscape then put the drawing into Corel and make changes? Or put a Corel drawing into Inkscape. I am not sure this can be done, on the other hand with the knowledge on this forum, I'm sure if it can be done, someone will know how to do it.
Thanks

I found on the Internet that you can use UniConverter to convert between Inkscape and CorelDraw.
This program looks to be open source so it will be free. It can be found at this site http://sk1project.org/ the download for the program is at http://sk1project.org/modules.php?name=Products&product=uniconvertor&op=download.

Good Luck.

Mike

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Mike:
Those links are much appreciated. I downloaded it tonight and will work on learning a little about it tomorrow. If you have it, I may be asking you some questions about it.
Will let you guys know if it works for me.
Thanks

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Carl: I found this:
---------

Can I open/import *.cdr (Corel Draw Vector drawing file) files in Inkscape?

You can use the UniConvertor for converting CDR and some other formats to SVG. In Inkscape 0.46, there's an input extension that will allow you to open or import CDR files directly from Inkscape if you have UniConvertor installed on your system.

If you can't run UniConvertor, you can try this workaround:

Open CDR file Corel Draw. Save it as binary encoded CGM* file. It will save only vector graphics. It will not save bitmap graphics.
Open CGM file in OpenOffice Impress. Copy to Open Office Draw and insert original JPG or another bitmap graphics. Save file as ODG And you can continue in Open Office Draw program.)
Select all (CTRL+A)
Export as SVG.
Open SVG file in Inkscape and correct mistakes if they appear.
Note: OpenOffice will open only binary encoded CGM files in Impress. If the CGM is encoded using clear-text encoding, it will be opened in OpenOfice Writer, thus rendering the next steps invalid.
I exported an SVG file from Adobe Illustrator, edited it in Inkscape, and imported back to AI, but there my changes are lost!

That's because Adobe cheats. It creates a valid SVG, but apart from the SVG code it also writes to the file, in encoded binary form, the entire AI-format source file of the image. Inkscape, of course, edits the SVG part of the image and leaves the encoded binary untouched. But when you import the SVG file back to AI, it completely disregards the SVG code with its edits and reads directly from the encoded AI binary. Therefore, any SVG changes are lost. To work around it, in Inkscape open the XML Editor and remove the non-SVG elements (everything not with the svg: prefix in its name, usually towards the end of the tree). If you need to do this job repeatedly you may consider using some XSLT-based automation. Alternatively, when exporting SVG from Illustrator, uncheck the options "Preserve Adobe Illustrator Editing" and "Optimize for Adobe SVG viewer".

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Interchanging files.

Hi Carl,

I remembered that I installed Inkscape in my PC some time ago (I actually do not use it at all) so was doing some test for you but using my CorelDRAW X3.
The standard file format for Inkscape is SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) so I save a test file in this format and then imported it into Corel directly (Corel can import and export SVG files without any problem). This means that you can interchange files between these applications using this file format (SVG).

I also tested other formats like AI and WMF that seems to works well but had some problems with images.
In the case of using the SVG format make sure that you have set the colors to RGB and then the images as JPG or GIF in the Corel SVG export window.

I hope this help a bit! :)

All the best, Leonardo.

tbear

Carl,
I just installed Inkscape on my computer and did a little test. I drew a few spirals in Inkscape and saved it as an EPS file. I then opened Corel and opened the EPS file and got a message that says "Text Or Curves". Select "curves" and did not have any problem opening it or modifying it. Then you can save it as a CDR file or if you want save it as a JPG you need to EXPORT it as a JPG to where ever you want. Ive attached a picture of the message and of the spirals.
I did one from Inkscape to Corel using SVG but I will have to explain it in more detail because you need to go in in Corel and unlock it after it is pulled in.
T

Attachments

• EPS to Corel.jpg
    EPS to Corel.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 30
  • spiral test 1_1.jpg
    spiral test 1_1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 33

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What the blue blazes language is that. Pretty cool stuff, but it sounds like I need a masters degree to understand the nomenclature in this thread. I think that I am better suited to ditch digging and rock picking and leave you all alone. And I thought I was a little behind the times before, now I feel like wearing a loin cloth and packing a club around. :beerchug:

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
I have tried just about everything I know and I am about to decide with eslope----Packing a club:beat up:

I have downloaded UniConverter and Python, still nothing seems to work. I might add that my CorelDraw is version 7, I am assuming that is more than likely the problem. I will work on it some more tomorrow. My eyes are killing me right now from the computer screen. My mind is about to go blank from all the frustration. I still thank each of you for helping. Maybe tomorrow I will re read the thread and try some new things.

It's not that it is really a must to do, I just can't stand for this computer to whip me. :beat up:

Cheers.

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Carl,
I just installed Inkscape on my computer and did a little test. I drew a few spirals in Inkscape and saved it as an EPS file. I then opened Corel and opened the EPS file and got a message that says "Text Or Curves". Select "curves" and did not have any problem opening it or modifying it. Then you can save it as a CDR file or if you want save it as a JPG you need to EXPORT it as a JPG to where ever you want. Ive attached a picture of the message and of the spirals.
I did one from Inkscape to Corel using SVG but I will have to explain it in more detail because you need to go in in Corel and unlock it after it is pulled in.
T

T
I would love to know how you unlocked it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm thinkin sam musta worked on a nasa rocket ship or sumptin ! no wonder he turned bald, after doin all that thinking ! i don't think there ever was any balding wax ! time to fess up, sam.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I don't have inkscape, can't test it, but try the simplest and most often overlooked method. Select all, copy, go to an open, empty document in the other program, and paste. Don't go through the export/import hoops.

I used to run vector graphics between corel and a 3D program that way, and it would retain most of the element data (separate objects, groups, etc).