Concho

fjkratky

There are some great silversmiths as well as engravers here and I have a question maybe someone can help me with. I need to make some flat top conchos. I have a hydralic press and urethane that I make conventional domed top conchos with. What is the trick to doing flat top conchos. I guess you need to make them before you can engrave them!

Thanks for your help!

Frank

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
picture?

Do you have a picture Frank, to show what you refer to as a flat top concho? I may be able to throw in my two cents worth if able-thanks.
Paul

fjkratky

Paul

Sorry I do not have a picture. They look just like a conventional domed concho except that the top is flat instead of domed. They still are formed out just flat on the top

Frank, You can take a piece of plexiglass the same thickness that you want the concho, Scibe a circle on it, drill a small hole just inside the scib line then cut out with a jewelers saw, Round the edges of the inner piec slightly, you will also have to reduce the diameter a little depending on the thickness of the metal you are using. Place the pieace with the cut out hole in it on your press, place the metal over the hole then a piece of urathene over the metal and press a slight dome. This helps center the pusher for the final press. Remove the urothene and anneal the metal then plave the metal back over the matrix Center the pusher and re press. Be sure to leave at least 1 1/2 inches of plexiiglass around the hole in the matrix Good luck, Lefty

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
I assume that you are using a plexiglass die for your domed conchos formed w/urethane. If you use a thinner piece of glass when the silver expands upward it will hit your steel top plate making a flat top. I have used 1/4" glass for a ranger buckle and unintentionally did this. You will need to have your steel plate very polished or any imperfections will show in the top of your concho. I hope this is some help. Ken

castagnos&s

Frank i made a steel die with a drill a horse shoeing rasp and some files and it makes pretty fair conchos but if you take a peice of plexi glass about half the thickness of your round die and put it in the top of the die so your silver hits it you can push it in one shot. I have made some saddle string conchos as well as rosettes for a bridle or three this way and it works great. make sure you dont have a hole in the plug peice of glass or your urethane will push your silver up thru it and ruin your concho, I had to find it out the hard way. I used a flat washer for a plug and wrecked a two and a half inch cantle concho. hope this helps. Mike

fjkratky

Thank you very much for the info. I greatly appreicate it! With the price of silver it is good to get info from folks who know before you start experimenting!