Critics welcomed !

ghpayton

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I am guilty of what I see here in many ways so take it with a grain of salt…. If this is for a cuff style bracelet, what size for reference? I think that some of the elements may fair better if you extend them and not put them so close together. If you perfect the backbones on a separate layer and give them space to breath when it comes to the inner spiral it would look more organic rather than forced.
the bracelet will be 5/8” x 7 1/2”. Thank you for the input.

monk

Staff member
my eye sees way too much crammed in too little space. i'd think a more simplified design would work better here. check out the flare cut type design. you'll see what i mean. roger bleile is a master of this type of cut.
sam alfano does a dvd on this principle. check that out.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I see a few places that will be tricky to shade and I look forward to seeing how you will go about it. I've gotten into wood carving and discovered that my 2d understanding of scrollwork was entirely inadequate and I had to learn from scratch what scrolls should look like in 3d. complex can be cool, I certainly got interested as soon as i saw this. you'll learn much from cutting it and you'll find things you don't want to do again and things you like. keep having fun with it.
Danae.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221120-211414_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221120-211414_Chrome.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 38

ghpayton

Thank you for your time to point out possible issues. Since 2015 I have put most of my effort into cutting and not drawing. At 70 years of age , I would like to put more effort into learning to draw and create my own work. Shading is another struggle.

Last edited:

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
Trying to draw scroll on a bracelet. All help appreciated. Thanks ! View attachment 50628
If it's an open shank, you'll want the actual end to end length to be 6" for an average man, and 5 1/2" for a average woman. 7 1/2"end to end will end up large enough to fit a 6'8" 450 lb. linebacker. Design looks great! I would add an inner border of about 3/32" to 1/8" all the way around and and have your scrollwork splash out a bit into the border. This will add structure tying the outer shape of your bracelet into your scrollwork, and will keep your scrollwork from looking like seaweed floating around in an aquarium.

ghpayton

New attempt
I see a few places that will be tricky to shade and I look forward to seeing how you will go about it. I've gotten into wood carving and discovered that my 2d understanding of scrollwork was entirely inadequate and I had to learn from scratch what scrolls should look like in 3d. complex can be cool, I certainly got interested as soon as i saw this. you'll learn much from cutting it and you'll find things you don't want to do again and things you like. keep having fun with it.
Danae.
New attempt

Sponsors