critique request. first folding knife

ByrnBucks

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome Lonepine, you’ve found the right place for knowable advice, and helpful design critique and suggestions ”not from me as I’m very green haha” but for a first knife I’d say its a very good start. Since you’ve completed this project already there’s little that can be suggested that wont seem negative…”lack of responses” I’d recommend if you have a next canvas in mind, maybe the same knife , try posting your design / layout on here and the help will come pouring in, after taking it all in refine your design “take your time“ and post the improvements and let the highly skilled eyes of these experienced gentlemen hone your design to something that could possibly have taken years to achieve in solitary. Good luck this is a very satisfying endeavor to undertake, If it was a road I believe there isn’t really an ending but its not the destination but the journey that drives us forward. Hope you have a wonderful day. BB.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for a first outta the gate, not too shabby. i'd practice drawing spines in odd spaces to improve the design process. the central spine on the left side is a bit squashed . the spines if off, will hijack anything you do after they have been cut.you cutting looks ok to me, just a bit of pencil work is needed. practice and prevail leads one to much higer degree of success.

Lonepine

Welcome Lonepine, you’ve found the right place for knowable advice, and helpful design critique and suggestions ”not from me as I’m very green haha” but for a first knife I’d say its a very good start. Since you’ve completed this project already there’s little that can be suggested that wont seem negative…”lack of responses” I’d recommend if you have a next canvas in mind, maybe the same knife , try posting your design / layout on here and the help will come pouring in, after taking it all in refine your design “take your time“ and post the improvements and let the highly skilled eyes of these experienced gentlemen hone your design to something that could possibly have taken years to achieve in solitary. Good luck this is a very satisfying endeavor to undertake, If it was a road I believe there isn’t really an ending but its not the destination but the journey that drives us forward. Hope you have a wonderful day. BB.
thank you gentleman for the advice, i will keep all this in mind moving forward. i know a finished project with a critique request wont get many replies, but being it is my start before being able to ask the advice of those with more experience, i wanted to take a chance in posting it in hopes of changing minor things now as i post plan outs in the future. Once again i appreciate the replies, thank you.

Lonepine

that Kershaw s.s. is real pain in the ...........?
Never tried engraving the blade. This one had plastic scales so I made the Steele ones out of salvaged farm Steele I had sitting around. Most of that Steele gets used in my blacksmithing/bladesmithing, but I took some to make myself a nice folding knife to take to gun shows to show vendors.

Lonepine

for a first outta the gate, not too shabby. i'd practice drawing spines in odd spaces to improve the design process. the central spine on the left side is a bit squashed . the spines if off, will hijack anything you do after they have been cut.you cutting looks ok to me, just a bit of pencil work is needed. practice and prevail leads one to much higer degree of success.
Thank you for the advice. My scroll drawing definitely needs improvement and has come a long way since this post. I appreciate you saying the cutting is good as I’m doing all of this with a chasing hammer and homemade graver holder. One day I hope to upgrade to a hand piece, but I’ve been determined to teach myself how to engrave using “the old fashioned way” some might say. Thanks again for the advice!!

Winstonklein

Elite Cafe Member
The work is just wonderful. My only advice is that you need to invest in a better camera and some good lighting.

Lonepine

Thank you!! I have about 100 hours into this, between making the Steele scales, drawing, and cutting. I agree I really need to get a better display. Something to invest in for the future. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Sponsors