Curious about the Engraver

tphillips98

I inherited a gun collection from my father years ago and my new hobby the past year has been researching the guns to learn more about them. One of the guns is an engraved Government Model 1911 manufactured in 1924. I've ordered a letter from Colt to determine it's provenance and if the engraving was done at the factory or by a non-factory artist after it was shipped.

The letters "EJS" are engraved on the back right side of the receiver just under the slide. I don't know whether the initials belong to the owner or its the engraver's mark. I would love any insight you could share about the engraving or the engraver. Thank Colt Gov Model Engraved #688 R.jpg Colt Gov Model Engraved #688 L.jpg you

tphillips98

Unfortunately I don't have the gun with me right now. The pictures I posted were on my computer and I took them awhile ago. I'll do it as soon as I get back but it will be next week.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your pictures lack enough detail to determine much about the engraver. I can see enough to tell that this is not the work of a Colt factory engraver. Sharply focused, well lit, close-up photos of portions of the scrollwork and initials might tell me who engraved your gun. The initials EJS don't ring a bell with me but they may be the original owners initials. I will be able to tell you one way or the other when I see them.

Latest posts

Sponsors