Curious what is going on with this gun- etched, engraved, corroded?

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Happened upon this, a WWII M1 carbine. Zoom in on photos number 2 and 7. At first I thought it was some sort of acid etching to create a pattern of leaves and foliage, sort of a camouflage, but then I saw the item description says it's blood etching. (something I'd never heard of)

So my question, is it something that was done deliberately, a form of engraving, or is it a natural abuse/neglect/corrosion?

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Walter
first I am in awe of your work, thanks for the photos
that appears to be damage caused by blood which will Cause rust on metal , common found on guns of war.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
blood may initiate a bit of rust. to my eye, this shows far too deep to be mere "blood rust. the (design ?" if that's what it is, seems too irregular to have been done on purpose. probably accidental exposure to some very corrosive liquid. jmho

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
blood may initiate a bit of rust. to my eye, this shows far too deep to be mere "blood rust. the (design ?" i tha's what it is, seems too irregular to have een done on purpose. probably accidental exposure to some very corrosive liquid. jmho
Maybe a little more rust and a little deeper which each new bleeding

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Happened upon this, a WWII M1 carbine. Zoom in on photos number 2 and 7. At first I thought it was some sort of acid etching to create a pattern of leaves and foliage, sort of a camouflage, but then I saw the item description says it's blood etching. (something I'd never heard of)

So my question, is it something that was done deliberately, a form of engraving, or is it a natural abuse/neglect/corrosion?

I’m guessing it’s just a selling point hoping that collectors will buy it looking for something historically unique and the blood etching is a way to try and help validate the rifle being used in actual combat not an actual etching for the purpose of ornamentation....whether it was or wasn’t caused by blood I will leave that to the experts.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
That looks like pitting to me someone left that gun in a damp & wet place blood etching I don't agree on the blood story. J.J.

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
looks really corrosive intrusion to me..............such as layed under a battery in transport or the like

monk

Staff member
a really competent weldor could likely undo a lot of the damage to your gun. worth a try.

Ed Davet

If you believe that marketing ploy, you would also have to believe that poor soldier had sulfuric acid, or like, in his veins.

Latest posts

Sponsors