Custom Knives

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
After hearing fellow classmates discuss purchasing a custom knife to engrave for an investment, I decided to pursue.
I have since read several posts on this forum about custom knife engraving.
To the telephone I went.:)
I have called several of the noteable knifemakers in the guild. Mr. Sawby (husband of a fellow classmate) was two and a half years out and not taking any orders. So much for flashing his wifes name about.
Next I went to Mr. S. Johnson, three years out, not taking any new orders.
I'll show them. I went to Mr. J. Young, five years out and not taking any orders.:rolleyes:
I think I want to be a custom knifemaker when I grow up!!

William Grubb

Elite Cafe Member
Glenn,
If you can make a gun,you can make knife.Why not make your own knife ,and engrave it? I've been engraving the knives I made five years ago and its pretty rewarding to know you did it all. The way I make them usually takes me about sixty hours ,then about fourty hours to engrave ,a lot of time I know ,but I'm slow you may be able to do one much faster.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Bill,
I've built knives for several years off and on, but my fit and finish leaves some thing to be desired. I was hoping to get a known quality knifemaker to part with one of his treasures. It's like any thing else if your good people will beat a path to your door. I think the ones that are good get booked quickly. Having said that, I surely will keep trying to find a known quality craftsman.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glenn: When a collector or engraver wants a knife from a known maker, and wants it now, he often turns to dealers. They usually have the high grade hard-to-get stuff available at a premium price.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Go to some knife shows. I would guess you'll see something you would like. I would be happy even if I didn't buy any knives (it hasn't happened yet though). Just perusing and looking at the craftsmanship is always a pleasure.

There is no substitute for holding it in your hand in my opinion. Great to be able to see the cuts on the engravings too.

Peter

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Great posts here guys. The knifenet link is very interesting and a good posibility.
Sam your right. (My saying "long after the price is forgotten, the quality remains"). Looking at the dealers prices don't look that far out. Thanks to all for the help. Sam your a gem in the rough (your wife is prejudice, she thinks your polished):eek:

Latest posts

Sponsors