Cutting on concave surfaces

BenHickey

Hello,

I am pretty new to this and am so far self taught. I am having trouble at the minute though with trying to cut some lettering on the inside of a bangle. I am using a flat graver with a 45 degree face and a 15 degree heel (which I curve slightly down to about 5 degrees) for the bright cutting. I find I get a lot of heel drag here though, I have tried doubling the angle of the heel but that doesn't seem to help all that much. I then use a 120 V graver with a 15 degree parallel heel to do all the line work and tidy everything up with. I am also struggling with getting any sort of consistency with the width of the my cuts (with both gravers), though I am putting this down to inexperience for the minute.

Any help, tips, advice that you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance for any time you can put to sharing your knowledge.

Thanks,

Ben.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Steve lindsay sells what he calls the angled graver. It allows you to engraver something deep say the curve or a spoon. there are a few options, hand push models, collet systems specific to the lindsay hand piece and more universal collets. I have no personal experience with them but everything so far i got from Steve is top notch. Hope this helps.
Screenshot_20220911-054859.jpg

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Old engravers made their gravers themselves, bending the tips upwards to fit the curvature of the object being engraved, such as bowls or spoons. Search for these types on the internet and in the older engraving books and there are examples shown.

monk

Staff member
learning how to heat, bend to required shape, and the final annealing of gravers can be well worth the effort. y.doing such is really quite easy

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
Thanks Mike, that's really interesting! Any idea if it would work in the GRS system?
To my knowledge they are designed to fit with any system. Steve specifies this on his website that its designed to fit any system which can hold a standard 3/32 graver.