Cyborg chicks for Blade

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here are some handle overlays that go on a Broadwell folder. The knife itself is a very futuristic design, so it begged for a sci-fi theme. I really had to use some imagination on my subjects, but I had alot of fun designing the artwork for this piece. I do apologize for the picture quality, my photo bulb burned out so I quickly took some shots outside before sending them in the mail. I will post some professional pics once the knife is complete. The copper has no patina yet so it is difficult to see from the pink gold, but here is the description of the inlays. The base metal is CP ti. the capes and clouds are copper, the white areas are silver, the hair and eye in the mask on the left girl are pink gold as is the eyes in the sword of the right girl. Each girl has yellow gold inlayed into there hair. Mostly this is done with dots but there is a small amount of line work, such as the inside of the cape. As usual questions and comments are welcome. Thanks for looking-Brian

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Outstanding and very imaginative! When I was at the NRA convention I saw a stutzen rifle that you had engraved. It was beautifully done.

Roger

Last edited:

jbmartin

Those are fantastic!
My only question is, How will they be attached to the knife?

Thanks!

JB

Tom McCarthy

Outstanding job! I don’t know what else I can say to describe what a wonderful job you have done on this piece.

Tom

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great job Brian! Thanks for posting, I haven't done any bulino yet, maybe some day, Dwayne

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great Brian nice theme very well proportioned women also. Beautifully engraved.
I have a question not just to you Brian. I see copper and silver used in inlays on fine works. These fine pieces of art could be around for many, many years. To me using copper and silver reduces the life of the art, I guess more so for copper. Don't take me wrong copper when used looks beautiful, when it's new . If it's used in a knife that is actually going to be used it works pretty good. I have copper in my shop just sitting there and you can hardly tell what metal it is. No matter how you try and protect it copper constantly wants to change. In my opinion when using copper you run the risk of it distorting the artwork in later years.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Once again something that would be good if it were a painting, or pen and ink.
Being done in metal...

Simply stunning!

Nice content too. ;)

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Jim Zim, noticed something in the pic that I did not, on the sword chick her arm looks short. Now I am certain it is because of the poor lighting, but it is a good example that even though you get great detail and smoothness with dots, it has to be seen in the proper light. Chris D mentioned this just recently, just something to keep in mind.

Mike, When I use copper, the brownish patina color is what I want, but the piece is out the door before I see that. I do not know as much about metals as you do, but I have found that if kept dry even without protection with oil or wax the copper will not get green or corroded looking. On the silver I use Argentium, although it will tarnish eventually, if kept dry it wont need polished for quite a while. I suppose if the knife is going to humid climates then there could be a problem, but there would also be a problem with the steel in the blade rusting too.

Thanks for all the comments -Brian

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian if your comfortable using copper that's all that matters. Copper can go from a beautiful patina to out right corroded. Where I would be woried is moisture behind the inlay unseen and corroding inside out. I would suggest going to a gold alloy. I'm sorry Brian for being such a grim reaper. It's just such nice work I would hate to see it damaged by corosion. Lets see you about 16 now you'll be about 80 years old when it happens and really won't give a damn anyway. It trully is a beautiful knife.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, I hear what you are saying and I do agree. Here soon I want to start mixing my own gold alloys so I can get the different shades of color I would like to be using. Not only because of the corrosion issue, but gold impresses buyers more than copper and silver. From what I was told, it does not take any highly priced equipment, mostly stuff I already have, I just need to make it down to his place and see it done in person.