Damar varnish alternative?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
no brian, i just like wearing white shoes, especially when welding, using the cutting torch, or walking thru my local junkyard. my white dress caught fire, so i don't wear that anymore.

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
I have the Epson transparencies because I bought a buttload of them figuring they might take them off the market. But there are other good films. My friend uses some that he got from Tom White I believe. They aren't as dark as the Epson but do a good job in combination with the Shellac mixture.

IDJewelry

I have been using a mixture of Bullseye shellac and isopropyl alcohol. I can't remember the exact mixture but you can try 50-50 as a start. I get excellent transfers as you can see. The bottle in this picture was mixed almost 5 years ago and it's almost empty. I used it up one Q-tip at a time. I don't post much but I do a lot of engraving. It's almost all production engraving on high dollar flutes. You can see the results on a 22 carat gold Head joint. I will admit that I use the Epson transfer sheets. I bought a huge stock of them back when they were available. There are other films that still work well. I believe Tom White sells some. And this solution is not toxic like some of the other solutions I have heard about.

Is this oil based?

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
You can always order damar varnish from Blicks Art Supply or JerrysArtarama. They are both great sources for all things art.

~ Suze

One summer we had a class... everyone ate lunch outside under the grape arbor.

A gal knocked over a glass of apple juice. There were practice plates on the table.

There were no napkins that day, so I jokingly told her to let it dry and we'd see if it would take a transfer later...

It did.

So, the answer to your question is that yes, there are probably a lot of other substances that will work.

Some will attract ants...

Brian

Do you have a "Michaels" store where you live? They'd have damar.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
has anyone found or tried an alternative to damar varnish? if so will you share? having a bear of a time finding some locally! Hobby Lobby is closed......
I have also tried zapon lacquer with same result as dammar varnich. about 50% lacquer and 50% denatured alcohol. Think any shellack solution probably will give okey results.... The zapon lacquer solution is what I use today. Cant find any dammar varnish in the local stores where I live:)

Jørn-Ove

Latest posts

Sponsors