Dang, Ron!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A little background: Last year at BLADE my ever-indulgent wife bought me an engraving setup from GRS. Took the Basic Engraving class in September.

Like a lot of folks it's safe to say I could draw better. In fact, I've always said that my drawing skills are such that I'm a photographer. But drawing is important for engraving so I've been plugging away working at getting better.

While I've been able to draw the spines of scrolls ok, my leaves... well let's just say the ones downwind from Three Mile Island were much more natural looking.

Got myself a post-Christmas present of the N'Graver Scroll Template system and that helped a lot - now I can do Chernobyl grade leaves.

The ever-indulgent wife and I have our own rules for Valentine's Day presents. To qualify a present must
1) Be a 'traditional' present
or
2) Have something Red.
Most of the gifts she gets me qualify under Rule #2.

This year I told her I wanted the 'Classroom in a Box' from GRS - the version with both of Ron's books on Scrolls. It not only counts because of the jewlery connection (admittedly a bit tenuous) but it's safe under Rule #2 because there are some color plates in the Advanced book with red bits.

So she calls in and orders it. We're two hours away from GRS so it arrives a bit early but that's not a problem. I'm working my way through the first book (Drawing and Understanding Scroll Designs) and having a good time.

Ron spends three pages going over what appears to be one small, simple point: if the lines in your leaves are kept reasonably parallel to each other then your leaf will have a natural harmony and flow. Several examples showing good and bad leaves. Seems sensible. Continue on a bit soaking up lots of good stuff.

Starting to get a little bit late so I decide to stop reading for now and see if I've learned anything. Take my sketchbook and start with the very simple leaf tendril Ron starts his 'flow' discussion with.

Hey, that does look nice!

Do a couple more, then try a slightly fancier leaf. Fair amount of erasing and adjusting. Get one 'Chernobyl' leaf I leave as a reminder.

But you know, these darn things are actually starting to look good! :eek:

Sketch a bit of a scroll and see if I can put a leaf cluster on the outside. And it works!

Less than a quarter of the way through the book and I've already got a major improvement.

Ok, it's like those organizations that brag about being 'fastest growing' - something they can do because getting that third member means they're up 300%, but still.

Great job Ron!

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Steve, can't get a much better review than that. I'm as pleased as you are at your success.
Keep practicing, follow along with the book. It gets better!......
Understanding scrolls is a matter of structure and a few basic rules........post some pictures....Ron S

beegee

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Gravermeister. Then I bought a Gravermax. I have yet to even hook up the Gravermax. I do spend a lot of time doodling with scrolls. I have noticed that my scrolls are beginning to have some continuity and flow and better proportion. I have Ron Smith's books and Meeks and some nGraver templates, which really don't appeal to me. At some point, I guess the muse will overtake me and I'll have to swap pencil lead for HSS.

Christiaan

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!!! What a pleasant review!!! Taking me through the set-by-step struggle. Now I also need that book.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You can never do enough drawing.
Drawing is important to develope hand, eye mind coordination. Realistically the pencil can be more important than your gravers.
As a professor of mine once said."Drawing is your language,............ painting, sculpting (or engraving) is your dialect"

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I'm going through Ron's latest book for the second time now, more slowly than the first time. I'm keeping it on my desk and drawing and re-drawing the exercises over and over. It's sinking in slowly, my curves, leaves etc. are looking more natural. I've done some transfers using printers and acetone but have resisted the fancier methods in order to force myself to draw better.

Andrew Biggs

Marty is quite right................."You can never do enough drawing"

It's everything. A good design that's not cut so well (within reason) will look far better than a bad design cut really well.

Like anything, it's somthing you need to practice a lot and with time, you'll get better at it.

Cheers
Andrew

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking at an engraving your eye/mind will fill in small gaps and smooth out small bumps but it won't make a leaf look natural.

autumnwinds44

When DeCamillis was down here at ESU, we were "encouraged" to draw for a while before picking up a graver. Also, to spend a minimum of 30 minutes a day, every day, engraving,(and doing the required drawing). Some mornings, my pencil looks like it went out with Steve's for a night of bar crawling, but it does get better.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the most important aspects of learning to draw is to start with a very simple leaf structure, break it down as I describe in my book and re-assemble it. Learn each line in the structure, commit its character to memory and then pay attention to its relationship with the other lines in the structure. Then you go on to learning the character of the spiral and committing it to memory so you don't have to copy. If you have my book, follow the leaf progression drawings and add on each abrupt change in direction and consider that to be a line in itself. Once you have each line addition committed to memory, all you have to do is re-assemble the lines and remember the parallel line rule so that you maintain the flow and grace of the structure.............Ron S

This is very very important!!! Break the leaf down into parts and then study line relationships in the structure you are trying to copy. If you spend the time to do this, you will find success coming along much faster than if you don't. Let me assure you that I have done it your way. It took me many years to come up with a way to teach this where one could get it quickly, but it is hard to get people to do it, but in the long run it is faster..........Ron S

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Got a chance to snap a pic of a page from my sketchbook. I did this sitting in the car waiting for the ever-indulgent wife (we carpool). Tried a couple of spirals but as you noted Ron, it's a bit tougher to do spirals + leaves then spirals and leaves separately.

The crossed out ones are ones I wasn't happy with - easier then trying to erase while sitting in the driver's seat of the car.

The faint ones are actually on the other side of the sheet.

As you can see, I still need work but if I showed you some from before, well... let's just say the improvement is obvious.

While we were out running around today we stopped for at a coffee place. I was doodling on the back of the receipt - partly to show the ever-indulgent wife something - and I'm already getting better on the simple leaves.

Attachments

• leaves1.jpg
    leaves1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 57

Andrew Biggs

Hi KCSteve

Keep at it..........you're on the right track!!!!

One thing that you could try is a technique that works for me.

Before you start drawing, just try to clear all the clag out of your head. Close your eyes and try and find a quiet spot in your mind. Then try to visualise what you are trying to draw. Let things float around a little and then get to it.

Now I know that sounds like some sort of Zen Mystic type magic thing............but it works and with a little practice you can do it with your eyes open and quite quickly.

Give it a go and see what you think

Cheers
Andrew

Abigail

Administrator
Andrew,
So THAT'S what Sam is doing when he sits there with that blank look on his face. Now I get it. He's not really 'zoning out", he is "zoning in". He is 'de-clagging'.

This reminds me of a video I watched just the other day. Check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1QoCXKPh9Zw

Share it with Mary as well!
Cheers,
Abigail