Question: darn rookies

irishengraver

Hello out there. My name is Will and I am one of the newest rookies to the engraver world. First of all I would like to say what a great website. I was hoping for some advice about vises if I may. I have been making bits and spurs for a couple years now and feel that I have a grip on that so want to go to the next level. I have been gathering tools (and messing around with hand engraving) and am ready to purchase a vise. My question is would grs's standard block be heavy enough or should a guy try to purchase the magna block? As I stated before I will mainly be engraving on bits and spurs. Also from the research I have done I am assumming that the 901 hand piece would best suit my needs. (I have purchesed a used gravermate) Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as I hope to have alittle bit of a feel for things before attending a grs school. Thank you

hmw

Will, welcome to the forum. I make bit/spurs also. I have the standard GRS block, and it has served me well, but I think if I had to do it over again, I would go ahead and get the Magna block. I have had times when the xtra weight would have sure been handy. As for your second question, I have used the 901 ever since they became available, and have been able to do anything I need to do, from heavy background removal to fine line cutting. Hope this helps some. Good luck.....Regards, H.M.Wells

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not a bit and spur maker but I would think if you are going to buy a block get the Magna. It gives you more weight. The 901 is a great overall handpiece but many bit and spur engravers use the Magnum. If you are taking a GRS class for sure you might just wait to try the different tools there.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Will, and welcome to the Cafe. I'm also thinking the Magnum would be a better choice, but you should do as Rex suggested and try them all to be sure. We have some bit and spur making members who will probably jump in and give you some advice.

Cheers / ~Sam

ken dixon

Elite Cafe Member
I think the magna block would be more satisfactory in the long run. I have a magnum hand piece and it is great, I think for what you are wanting it would be perfect.
Ken

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Magna block and magmun handpiece are what I like. Since I got my magnum handpiece I use it about 90 percent of the time. Good luck and welcome aboard.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the magnablock will serve for along , long time. been usin one for over 30 years. it will even work for light jewelry with the proper base- like one made of low friction nylon or such.

Big will

Hello will and welcome to the forum. I read that you make bits and spurs also and thought you might find bitsandspurs.freeforums.org useful if you havent already discovered it on the internet.

Will, Welcome to the forum. You might check out Ray LeTournoe's vise. It is heavier than the magna-block and comes with atachments for bit and spur makers. Steve Lindseys site has some info on it. I have one and really like it, I also have a magna-block and still use it but I prefer Ray's vise gor large pieces. Lefty

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I second what Rogue engraver says. I have a Magnablock and a LeTourneau. They are both high quality tools but in my opinion the LeTourneau is better suited for handling bits and spurs.

Stewart